• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 BMW 2000 TiLux in Los Angeles

Mark92131

Year:: 1968

Make:: BMW

Model:: 2000 TiLux

Price:: 5000.00

I saw this ad and thought I would pass it along.  A 1968 BMW 2000 Tilux, 4 Door Sedan in Chamonix over Black Interior.  Not running, but owner has a new crate motor for it, some rust, but looks reasonably complete.

NM/NA,

Mark92131

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5487525663.html

post-33686-0-33862700-1457812557_thumb.j

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

A Chamonix sunroof tilux? Very cool. No, very very cool!

Please save this car!

Regards,

Steve

I spent some time early yesterday morning looking over this car, tempted as I am to find a 4 door cruiser. I passed.

As the ad states, it was mostly complete and nearly everything 'was there.'

The car has had extensive rust repair up front, from the shock towers back into the where the front fenders meet the body / kick panels. Repairs were solid, but not-at-all pretty. There was some 're-rusting.' Frame rails appeared straight and solid, floor and trunk mostly solid. Rockers seemed solid, though I did not remove sill covers. Most doors suffered rust on the bottom couple of inches. Solid hood and deck lid. All three front grills present, straight, no busted slats. Front bumper good, rear bumper bent. Most aluminum trim present (front hood trim had the 'reliefs' but was banged up - probably salvageable in the right hands).

It appears to have been sitting, not driven, for some time. All drivetrain items present. No oil pan on the engine. Or oil. Single downdraft carb. 118 cylinder head. Clutch likely stuck. 14 x 5" wheels (not matching in year stamps, Steve).

Interior was rough, though door panels / map pockets looked good with exception of tweeters installed in upper front of doors. All seats needed upholstery. All four door windows moved down/up. Dash cracked, wood solid, gauges present (clock, no tach). Original steering wheel. The flippin' sunroof worked. One headlight busted, one tail light cracked.

Were it not for the rust, I'd have pulled the trigger. As it was, I was thinking "lemons race car" .... but then, upon returning to the hobby shop, the pleasant reality of my 2002 world came into view. Next week we'll be back in street car mode (ready, Yego?) -KB

post-35761-0-48466600-1457879831_thumb.j

Edited by kbmb02

I spent some time early yesterday morning looking over this car, tempted as I am to find a 4 door cruiser. I passed.

As the ad states, it was mostly complete and nearly everything 'was there.'

The car has had extensive rust repair up front, from the shock towers back into the where the front fenders meet the body / kick panels. Repairs were solid, but not-at-all pretty. There was some 're-rusting.' Frame rails appeared straight and solid, floor and trunk mostly solid. Rockers seemed solid, though I did not remove sill covers. Most doors suffered rust on the bottom couple of inches. Solid hood and deck lid. All three front grills present, straight, no busted slats. Front bumper good, rear bumper bent. Most aluminum trim present (front hood trim had the 'reliefs' but was banged up - probably salvageable in the right hands).

It appears to have been sitting, not driven, for some time. All drivetrain items present. No oil pan on the engine. Or oil. Single downdraft carb. 118 cylinder head. Clutch likely stuck. 14 x 5" wheels (not matching in year stamps, Steve).

Interior was rough, though door panels / map pockets looked good with exception of tweeters installed in upper front of doors. All seats needed upholstery. All four door windows moved down/up. Dash cracked, wood solid, gauges present (clock, no tach). Original steering wheel. The flippin' sunroof worked. One headlight busted, one tail light cracked.

Were it not for the rust, I'd have pulled the trigger. As it was, I was thinking "lemons race car" .... but then, upon returning to the hobby shop, the pleasant reality of my 2002 world came into view. Next week we'll be back in street car mode (ready, Yego?) -KB

Thanks, Ken,

I'm just glad that someone bought it!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I didn't see any sidedraft Solexes or an airbox in the admittedly-sparse photos -- and Ken only notes a single downdraft Solex and an incorrect 118 head (for 1.6 and 1.8-liter engines). Regardless, if missing, they're replaceable. We just need someone who's not afraid of a little rust.....

Please, someone, don't let a 2000 tiLux be parted!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

• 4 months later...

I'm the new owner of this car as of a few weeks ago - purchased it from a guy in Redding, CA who drove down to LA and traded a Datsun 510 for it in April.  The description by @kbmb02 is accurate and I've posted many photos here: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B02G6XBubMhQvU

@kbmb02 would you be willing to chat with me any info you were able to get from the owner in LA?  Curious to know any back-story...the guy I purchased it from didn't know much.

Aside from all that, the car is a plain 2000 (not a ti or tilux) and is a 1966 model (produced 09/01/1966).  Everything is "there" but it definitely needs a lot of love.

'67 BMW 2000 (Chamonix)

'68 BMW 2000 (Granada)

'84 BMW 528e, '87 BMW 325is, '15 535i, '18 M3cs

3 hours ago, duggi said:

I'm the new owner of this car as of a few weeks ago - purchased it from a guy in Redding, CA who drove down to LA and traded a Datsun 510 for it in April.  The description by @kbmb02 is accurate and I've posted many photos here: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B02G6XBubMhQvU

@kbmb02 would you be willing to chat with me any info you were able to get from the owner in LA?  Curious to know any back-story...the guy I purchased it from didn't know much.

Aside from all that, the car is a plain 2000 (not a ti or tilux) and is a 1966 model (produced 09/01/1966).  Everything is "there" but it definitely needs a lot of love.

Congrats.

If this was originally a U.S.-spec car (I don't believe BMW had a separate series of U.S. VIN's until 1968-ish), a car manufactured September 1, 1966 would generally be a U.S. '67 model.  Even if it has U.S. instruments today, I suppose the only way to confirm it was originally a U.S.-spec car is by a BMW Archives report (email VIN to info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com, although they may have started charging a fee) that states its title was originally delivered to Hoffman Motors, a New York corporation.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Congrats.

If this was originally a U.S,-spec car (I don't believe BMW had a separate series of U.S. VIN's until 1968-ish), a car manufactured September 1, 1966 would generally be a U.S. '67 model.  Even if it has U.S. instruments today, I suppose the only way to confirm it was originally a U.S.-spec car is by a BMW Archives report (email VIN to info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com, although they may have started charging a fee) that states its title was originally delivered to Hoffman Motors, a New York corporation.

Regards,

Steve

Thank you!  I'll have to re-label it a '67!

BMW Archiv are the ones who gave me the production date, and they said it was delivered to a dealer in Müllheim Germany on September 10, 1966, so it's definitely a euro-market car.  It has euro-market instruments and looks to be quite original except maybe the paint in various locations.  Like the previous poster said, there's definite evidence of previous rust-repair (cutting/welding) around the front rocker panel areas, and while it's not a beautiful job, it looks very solid and no further rust seems to have formed in those areas.  The rust is really limited (as far as I've been able to tell) to the doors and roof.

-derrick

'67 BMW 2000 (Chamonix)

'68 BMW 2000 (Granada)

'84 BMW 528e, '87 BMW 325is, '15 535i, '18 M3cs

1 hour ago, duggi said:

Thank you!  I'll have to re-label it a '67!

BMW Archiv are the ones who gave me the production date, and they said it was delivered to a dealer in Müllheim Germany on September 10, 1966, so it's definitely a euro-market car.  It has euro-market instruments and looks to be quite original except maybe the paint in various locations.  Like the previous poster said, there's definite evidence of previous rust-repair (cutting/welding) around the front rocker panel areas, and while it's not a beautiful job, it looks very solid and no further rust seems to have formed in those areas.  The rust is really limited (as far as I've been able to tell) to the doors and roof.

-derrick

Of course, Derrick, if it was originally a Euro-spec car delivered in Germany, German titling and registration rules might determine the model year -- and I'm not qualified to opine on that!

Thanks for the follow-up,

Steve