• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Washer bracket removal

Rustpile

I am trying to remove the bracket holding the washer fluid bottle on my 74. It's the one located next to the coil. I can't see any welds or rivets,but it's clearly not going anywhere. Any tricks? Rather not go on a grinder rampage if there is a better way,I need to preserve both bracket and inner fender.

There should be some spot welds holding that bracket to the fenderwell.  Grind off the paint both from the bracket side and inside the wheel housing.

Your car is a 74 but you mention the bracket is near the coil.  I thought only the "later" square light cars had the coil located toward the front of the car...

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

By 76 they were running thermo-reactor exhaust manifolds and it got so hot on the right side of the engine by the washer bottles would melt.  They are spot welded on so you will need to do some gringing to get it off. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

My 76 had it mounted to my Brake Booster

attachicon.gifprogress12 (7).JPG

All U.S. '75 and '76 models were of this style and, although the heat issue was the motivation behind the re-location -- as Preyupy says -- even the no-thermal-reactor '76 49-state versions were treated similarly.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

As the original poster of this message is in Norway, he would have a Euro '74.

As far as I know, all Euros up through the end of production had the washer bottle on the passenger fender, and, the coil also on the passenger fender up towards the firewall.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Lightly sanding (with a small 20mm block, etc) the center of the washer bottle bracket will reveal the locations of the factory spot welds more effectively than heavy grinding. Using a small hole saw (5mm +/-) or spot weld cutting bit in a drill, will help preserve both the bracket and the inner fender for re-use. 

Photo shows 6 or 7 spot welds on mine. 

post-34474-0-63276000-1458002718_thumb.j

Edited by wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com