• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seats needed for '75 2002

toysnsports

I am looking for original rear seat back and drivers seat for my '75 2002. I don't want to recover or change style as the other seats are excellent originals and I would like to match if at all possible.

The seats came in black, dark blue, tan, and the rare-for-the-U.S. gray. You haven't specified what color you're looking for. I'm assuming this is a U.S., car and it has all-vinyl seats, a "mandatory option" under Hoffman Motors and the early BMW NA. European-spec cars had vinyl-and-cloth interiors standard. Beginning late in the '75 U.S. model year, and through the end of '76 '02 production, BMW NA started bringing cloth and vinyl seats into the U.S., although all-vinyl seats far out-numbered the cloth-and-vinyl versions.

I'll bet that if you posted a photo of your existing seats, you'd stand a far better chance of getting seats that match your car's existing interior.

Good luck with your search,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks Steve! Yes, I guess a color would be helpful. I need black and they are vinyl. I'll post pictures as well. Brett

Great, Brett,

FYI, 40-year-old BMW vinyl in good, supple condition is difficult to find. To make matters more challenging, the later '02's (particularly post-'73) used vinyls, horsehair padding, and carpets of lesser quality than the earlier models. Not impossible, but difficult. Keep your mind open: a good upholstery shop can dye dark blue, tan, or gray vinyl to black very easily and effectively. Given that your black interior gives you this flexibility, I'd say focus on condition more than color as you evaluate replacements.

By the by, '75 and '76 '02 seats are identical.

The original pads that define the seats were "horsehair"; your seats, like many many '02 seats, appeared to have acquired foam padding along the way. There are LOTS of (often heated) discussions of the seat padding issue within this forum. Fun reading!

Good luck and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 1 month later...