• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schnitzer Twin Cam .... todays update

markmac

Literally one (actually two) pieces from this thing being done after x4 years.  They did a real nice job with the spark plug wires.  Really clean work.  One of my injection lines sprung a leak while Gus was testing the set yesterday, new one made (he's on vaca next week so another week gone by) and one 8mm ball socket for the throttle linkage.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

If I don't finish the car, I'll just bring the stinking motor to Monterey this summer.....;)

It was interesting taking a 550 psi blast of fuel in the face when the injection line burst (tested those yesterday at Pacific Fuel Injection) - uncanny that I would be in the direct line of fire.  Quite a stream of fuel spit out of there in a split second.  New line made but will have to wait a week to test.  Now if anyone can tell me where to find a 10-32 female right hand thread 8mm ball socket for my linkage, let me know.

Very nicely done; have been following for a while in the shadows.

Interesting you should mention Mike Lucas as I just sent him an injection pump today to start on a quasi A4S slide throttle build utilizing his slide throttle and specially coned pump. He also informs that he will be in Monterey this summer.

I also am considering using Terry Tinney when the time comes to do the build, sounds like he is one of the best in No. California.

Anyway fabulous work and dedication that far exceeds anything I have seen, inspiring to say the least.

Cort

Thanks Cort.  This project has been in process a long (long), I am really pleased with how the engine has come out, of course the business end of that (dyno) has yet to show itself.  I am confident that it will prove out in the HP, but we will see.  Knock on wood.

A+++++++ for Mike Lucas.  My engine guy sort of surprised me that he wasn't "comfortable" using the old ones.  Of course I learned yesterday what happens when one of them lets go or finds another way out (other than an injector) - it would be really easy to burn your engine to the ground (and everything around it).  That shot that came out of the line hit me directly in the eye.  I contacted Mike right away.  He had a package of fittings, 4 meters of new translucent line material and spacers out in two days.  Terry has done a few small projects for me but has done a number of motors for my friend Jeff, has done Steve W's ALpinA CSL motor and is doing another friends AlpinA CSL motor right now.  A+++ for him as well.

Should have some great shots of the bodywork/chassis soon, I was up there Tuesday.  Sneak peek of the ass-end.  From the images I saw yesterday, passenger side is all done, now, making final arrangements to attach drivers.  Most of the other sheet metal work is done, front fenders need a little work, should (fingers crossed) come together quickly now.

010.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

The motor went on the dyno this week.  I wasn't there but was told "it started and ran on 4 cylinders" (oh joy).  Apparently they are having some issue with an electronic component (part of the dyno itself) that has to do with data acquisition.  Of course I wanted to go over and see it run.....then, they sent me this "friendly" message....."we have to fix the electronics first.  Then we have to break it in.  Then we have to get a baseline fuel and ignition set up.  Then we will call you." 

A very good chance i will have pictures and video next week.

I know this is one of those projects that seem to take forever, but at this stage - being so close to completion - I admire your willingness to wade forward into fiery fate and test your ability to conquer history.  It's a noble quest. 

I've been watching from the beginning.

Onward!

Edited by Delia
left out a word

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Thank you, Delia.  It has been a ' saga ' for sure.  I have learned a lot.  One thing is for sure, this where I should have been a YEAR ago, not now.  No use crying over spilled milk.  The car (sans engine) will be a Legends in whatever state it is in.

Received a phone call fr,om engine builder last night - I almost didn't answer as I was afraid there might have been some sort of bad news (Saturday night, 7:30PM.....?).  He was a little rattled.  The motor utilizes an 8 pin Bosch electronic ignition (with rev limiter).  He hadn't checked where the rev limiter was set (and it isn't completely apparent anyway exactly where that point is set),  It was set at 8,000.  He was planning on running it up to 9000 - rev limiter got in the away - scared the sh*t out him (apparently when that happens it shuts the cylinders down one by one very quickly, very loud, popping....bad sounding noises that happen really fast).  Glad i wasn't there.  It made 256bhp at 8000 before it shut down.  It will probably make a little more at 9000 but not much maybe 260-265.  Less than what I expected, but then the idea when we built it was to make it last not ultimate horsepower.  He said it has nearly the same characteristics as an M12/6  ..... and that its "happy place" starts at 5800rpm pretty typical for a slide throttle motor like this.

I will be going over on Tuesday to snap some photo's and some video (and pay my final bill....oh sh^t!).  Chassis is about to go to paint, motor and chassis will meet up with each other at Hamlin's shop in another week or two.

On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 6:56 PM, markmac said:

The motor went on the dyno this week.  I wasn't there but was told "it started and ran on 4 cylinders" (oh joy).

Mark--many congratulations for completing the engine, getting it on the dyno and having it actually running....awesome! I know it has been a super-long haul, I hope everything comes out the way you have envisioned.

In related news, I am very close to getting my slide throttle engine with EFI on the dyno. I commissioned the slide over 5 years ago (maybe seven). I'll be testing it on a known-good engine that I built, then moving it over to the dry sump engine in the winter. Fingers crossed that it starts.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the CR, lift and duration of your engine? 255-265 HP is quite impressive. I went through your blog but didn't see those numbers.

Once again, congratulations! --Fred

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Tx.  I will post that info up for you.  He has all that info, I can tell you that the CR is 12:1, he has all sorts of data  I am heading over there in about an hour to see it run, snap some pics and hopefully take some video.  Really looking forward to it (not so much on paying my final bill though...bummer on that).  Still will be nice to close this chapter.  I dropped that motor off at his shop in.....wait for it.....wait for it.....2004.  Very long process even discounting 2008-2012 where I was in survival mode with our "booming" economy.

Just back.  It will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.  Video doesn't quite do it justice but you get the idea.  Need to do a little editing before I post.  This is what it looks liked hooked up on the dyno - like a patient in heart surgery really.  Pretty complicated with the all the connections and what not.  Quite a bit of data gets recorded.  Max torque is 175.7 ft pnds @ 7500 RPM, max horsepower recorded so far is 259.4 @ 8300 RPM (164.1 ft pnds torque).  It will make a few more hp with a few hundred more RPM, but not much looking at how the curve flattens out.  The max on my rev limiter is 9000 and not a good idea to go within 500 or so RPM of that.  He showed me a comparison of my motor and an M12/6 he ran, nearly identical except the M12/6 kept making power up through 9400 rpm 283bhp.  The "hottest" 4 cylinder motor he had ever run was an M12/7 which made 294 bhp @ 9600, so that magic 300 bhp that i see floated once in a while is likely that (magic, or someone playing games with their dyno).

Compression = 12:1

Ignition timing = 32 deg @ 3000

Spark Plugs = G 57 C

Cams: In: 419/285   410/281 @ .040

001.JPG

004.JPG

007.JPG

Edited by markmac