• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schnitzer Twin Cam .... todays update

markmac

Hallo Marc, nice to see your enging getting ready. It is a long project.

We will see which one are the better ones, 45, 48, 50. It also depends on the camshaft and also the use of the car, rally or speed.

we will have a dyno test with all of them.

As far as I´ve heard there should be new repro heads available at Schnitzer. Have not seen in person nor in pictures but was told, that they should be different from the old originals in some areas. Does anyone out there maybe know more about that?

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

For some reason I thought I had heard that Schnitzer pulled the plug on that project?, I could be wrong though.  That would be interesting if they were.   I know the main difference between the early version (which I have for the AlpinA car), is that they internally returned oil back to the sump (though the inside of the head and back to the sump), the later ones  had a boss on the exhaust side (back of the head) that had to be tapped to allow oil to drain back throughto the sump, here are some examples of what those look like ....The later cam carriers had a strengthening rib as well that the early ones didn't - Turbo motors put out more HP and apparently needed this improvement.....

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

Engine_92_oilreturn.JPG

6274970399_6eb82e9114_z.jpg

IMG_1052.JPG

Hi Mark... 

Long time ago...

Schnitzer is cooking something in their kitchen. I will keep you posted on that.

Just returned to this board last week after years of absence and just read your engine was being tested. Congratulations.

And I do agree... slide throttles are so much fun....

See the pics of my little race car. Great fun since the day I replaced the WEber 40 DCOE engine with this slide throttle engine ( . I can't get bored by it. But one day one of my Schnitzer engines will end up in there.... :-)

Tom from Belgium....

IMG_1535.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

Tom, good to hear from you.  I have to say that I would really love to have a SOHC slide motor, so much easier (and LESS expensive to work on than a Schnitzer motor), and with the right set of bits you can probably squeeze 225bhp out of one, which quite honestly in a race prepped o2 is plenty.  Having to "freshen" a SOHC motor is a walk in the park compared to a twin cam -  I asked my engine builder how much use it could take before that "freshening" needed to take place (answer = 1200 miles +/-).  Since the rev limiter on my ignition turns the fun off at 9000 rpm (rather violently I am told), going much past 8500 is risky business.  if i were running it up to 9000rpm regularly that 1200 mile number would be half or less based on the exponential wear and tear those extra rpm put on the motor). 

Looks like a fun car.

Really pleased with the end result of my engine build, but then after 12 years I guess I should be.  Its great to hear from you again.  Funny, i was just cleaning out the door pocket on my car and round a valve spring and retainer from my Schnitzer head that I was going to send to you.  it is a used one, do you still need it?  Let me know.  Tx

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com