• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identify These Wheels

danco_

Interesting wheels. They are a "Four Spoke" design, and look to have been produced/offered by BMW at one point, probably in the Italian market (as per Mojojoy).

Has anyone seen this set on another car? Or better yet, have history on it? Stamped on the faces are "6Jx13 H2", "FPS", "Typz", "Made In Italy" and "1009". I'm guessing the model is Typz? 

What can you guys tell me regarding these wheels? I want to put them on the 1600 but would like to know more about them before I commit to refinishing.

Thanks! 

Edited by danco_

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

They are FPS wheels, you need to check them carefully they could be for a Fiat/Alfa 4X98mm bolt pattern (they look like they will fit and might even go over the studs but the lug nuts don't line up properly) 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

On March 30, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Preyupy said:

They are FPS wheels, you need to check them carefully they could be for a Fiat/Alfa 4X98mm bolt pattern (they look like they will fit and might even go over the studs but the lug nuts don't line up properly) 

+1

F.P.S., of course, was the Italian wheel manufacturer that cast all of the early OEM '02 alloy rims -- including the modern reprise of that rim -- and a majority of the late OEM alloy rims.

Despite some reports that they might have been an "Italian market factory option," I don't, for one second, believe any street '02's -- save the factory turbos -- left the factory with 6" rims (i.e., in the instance of the turbos, the optional OEM alloys but, of note, only with flares).  F.P.S., being an Italian company, appears to have offered designs in the Italian market that are very rare beyond those borders.  Nonetheless, some Italian BMW dealers may well have also been dealers in F.P.S. rims and sold these 6" rims over the counter.  If they are 4x98, they can be re-drilled to 4x100 without much fuss.

They are very good looking rims!  I would suspect they are circa 1971 or thereabouts.  FPS is pretty good about dating its rims.  Look carefully at the reverse side for a casting date.

Here's an earlier thread:

Great find!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Preyupy said:

good call......duh....

and they are nice.

These wheels came from a long-time 02 owner, and a major parts hoarder. I haven't confirmed that they are 4x100, but I don't believe this is a mistake he would make. I will, however, confirm in the next week or so, what the bolt pattern is. I'm not worried about it - I know I'll be ok.

I'll make these work, regardless. 

Still boggles my mind that I have never seen these on a 2002. Maybe for good reason? 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

22 hours ago, danco_ said:

These wheels came from a long-time 02 owner, and a major parts hoarder. I haven't confirmed that they are 4x100, but I don't believe this is a mistake he would make. I will, however, confirm in the next week or so, what the bolt pattern is. I'm not worried about it - I know I'll be ok.

I'll make these work, regardless. 

Still boggles my mind that I have never seen these on a 2002. Maybe for good reason? 

A bigger parts hoarder than you?

72 02

73 02 tii

14 minutes ago, NickVyse said:

was it these fps?

wheel1.jpg

Nick,

It was the F.P.S. rim shown below.  Pretty darned rare in the U.S.!  I can't speak for the European market.  I actually believe I've seen more examples of the F.P.S. you've pictured, although they, too, are rare in the U.S.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The wheels have been mounted and confirmed 4x100. These are in fact wheels that will work for a 1600/2002.

Mounted this morning on a spare Sahara car: 

Wheelies and diff_-4.jpg

Wheelies and diff_-5.jpg

The bolt holes line up perfectly, and do not stress the lugs at all, like a 4x98 set would. I've seen how a 4x98 set fits, because I bought a 2002 with a set of Lancia Beta wheels mounted (ran that way for 5 years), which are also 4x98 bolt pattern. 

Wheelies and diff_-6.jpg

Wheelies and diff_-9.jpg

The offsets are right as well. They are sunk in over half an inch in the rear, which if I would guess, are somewhere around et20. These will fit great on the 1600

Wheelies and diff_-3.jpg

Wheelies and diff_-7.jpg

Wheelies and diff_.jpg

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards