• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on this 72 tii?

TonyHavana

Just found this very close to me. Spoke to the owner, who has had it since it was 5 months old. Has been repainted and did have nose damage, hence the snorkel. From the photos it looks pretty original. And $16,000. CDN is about $12,000. USD.   Thanks in advance. Tony

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/2002/COBBLE+HILL/British+Columbia/19_9263091_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_1

Does it run and drive?  The ad doesn't say.  

As you know, rust is the enemy, and it has some according to the ad.  So that is a concern that needs investigation.

On the plus side, the color combo is cool, and it has the elusive black plastic intake runners.  Extra cool points for that, as they are only on the earliest tiis.

Love the mud flaps, hate that thing on the steering wheel.

For $12K USD I would check it out.  

Scott

PS  Still cry myself to sleep once a month that I didn't buy your ti...

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Hey, Tony,

I'm showing VIN 2761315 as being manufactured April 4, 1972, so very late March/very early April is my best guess for 2761302.  Kris posted the link in this other thread:

Good luck and best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Looked at it again, Tony,

What I see from the photos is very good from my perspective, i.e., it is an unusually complete , down to the diagnostic plug on the valve cover.  And I think this completeness is partly a function of its two-owner status.  But the presence of the original 5x13 steel rims with full wheel covers also announces that those two owners appreciated the stock configuration: no 6" alloys here.  Yes, lots of these details need love, but they're there.  I'm betting it still has the original engine block, a theory easily confirmed.

The front sidemarker reflectors and the knee trim were shaved with the re-paint, but the exterior is otherwise stock, including the correct trap mirror.  I can't see the sunroof in the photos but the listing notes it has one.  All in all, a '72 sunroof tii in the very nice Agave-and-Saddle color combo is a very good thing!

I REALLY hope it is not a rust disaster underneath because there aren't many of these intact stock cars left.

If you confirm the manufacturing date and factory color with BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com), please share the manufacturing date with us!

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

12 minutes ago, Conserv said:

You are such a troublemaker, Jim!  ?

Best regards,

Steve

LOL - RU going to be in Asheville next month?  You can stir up some trouble there.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On April 6, 2016 at 7:27 PM, jgerock said:

LOL - RU going to be in Asheville next month?  You can stir up some trouble there.

Absolutely, Jim, I'll be there.

And I intend to move slowly and deliberately from car to car, inspecting snorkels.....

If ya got a snorkel, you're gettin' written up.  I don't much care whether it's a tii, a ti, or neither, all snorkel cars are gettin' written up!  And when the snorkels are gone, all '02's will be tii's!

?

Best regards,

Steve