• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photographed E30 M3 for Bring A Trailer

Beck180

First off, apologies to readers because I know this is not a 2002 post. However, I am not sure where this kind of post should should reside, plus I think 02ers would enjoy an E30 M3 story.

Plus, M10 and S14 cars share the same yadda yadda yadda...

My name is Beck and I am freelance photojournalist and wedding photographer in San Francisco. I also have a '74 2002 Tii which is how I got connected to Rich (rlobdill), fellow Tii owner and current seller of this beauty, an all original, high mileage, but thoroughly cared for, E30 M3 in black on black.

Although I never work in product or advertising photography, I agreed to shoot Rich's chariot for the Bring a Trailer listing. No matter how the shoot went, I'd get to hang out with another 02er and ride in an E30 M3!

Right off the bat, I felt a little out of my element. I am used to photojournalism where adaptation matters more than imagination. My natural instinct is not to direct, it is to observe and process. But direction is exactly what was needed.

We started off by driving through out the Marin Headlands, making some nice portrait and detail work. This isn't a typical advertising shoot since these types of listings require much more detail work and little to no lifestyle imagery. So later we went to Rich's house where we did more technical photography, documenting important aspects of E30 M3's as well as every matching vin sticker (this car has all the originals vin stickers, including on the head).

Despite taking several hours longer than I expected, the shoot was a an great experience. I wouldn't mind doing more, but would probably try to push the lifestyle part a bit more. What makes an E30 M3 owner's life special or unique? How is an E30 M3 used differently than a regular E30? Those kind of things.

The completed Bring a Trailer listing can be found here: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-m3-5/

For reference, my editorial work can be found here: http://beckdiefenbach.com

Weddings: http://beckdiefenbach.com/weddings/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thedief/

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

18 hours ago, mlytle said:

The off topic or the for sale sections of the forum should have been obvious choices. ..

Umm...Maybe, but really necessary?  Seems like others enjoyed the post, even if it may (or may not) have been a classified ad masquerading as a "hey check this out!" posting...

Always such the sweetheart mlytle and great job policing the mean streets of the FAQ for these types of egregious offenses...

COOP

Edited by COOP

Hey Beck

Nice job with the shots. I shoot in NYC and also shoot catalog work for Gooding&Co. and I think you did a great job shooting the car. Most importantly, when shooting a car for sale, you want to give an accurate representation of the car, no matter what the seller thinks of the car's current condition...and I think you passed that test with flying colors. Great job, I only wish I had enough $ and space to bid on it when it was on BAT

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

3 hours ago, COOP said:

Always such the sweetheart mlytle and great job policing the mean streets of the FAQ for these types of egregious offenses...

COOP

Meet Marshall (MLytle) in person and you might just change your opinion.  

"Why can't we all just get along". 

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

Meet Marshall (MLytle) in person and you might just change your opinion.  

"Why can't we all just get along". 

Oh, I'm sure he's a real charmer and I have no beef with him. I've also benefited from his knowledge here on numerous occasions over the years. As a track guy myself (2-wheeled variety), he also gets immediate points there...not to mention that he's a fellow M2'er.

I just wonder sometimes who anointed him the "FAQ Sheriff" judging by his irresistible propensity for telling everyone what to do instead of just chilling out a bit...

COOP

Edited by COOP

On 4/7/2016 at 8:14 PM, Beck180 said:

First off, apologies to readers because I know this is not a 2002 post. However, I am not sure where this kind of post should should reside...

Nice photos, but you asked.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif