• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a cv joint cage

JayMac

Trying to find the size of these from Lobro. Might even be the same as a VW and those are available.   If anyone upgraded to e21 joints thought you might have one of your old joints around and be willing to part with it. Need this:

16-2615.jpg

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!

It's not recommended to replace individual components of a CV joint, as the parts wear together as a system. Replacing the entire CV is a safer move. Also, there were two different types of CVs produced during the run of 2002s (not including the early fluid filled types), with the changeover occurring around April 1973. The early CVs fit early half shafts, and require a cupped washer. The late CVs fit late half shafts and do not use a cupped washer. It's ok to mix entire axle assemblies on a car, as they're the same length. It's not ok to mix CVs and axle shafts as they're not compatible, and will result in cracked cages and premature wear.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

That is interesting. Point taken but it would cause one to ask why the mfgrs manufacture and sell replacement cages? Not saying you are wrong but it does garner a hmmm. The off road community regularly replaces cages. I will do some more research as to the purpose of the cage as I don't believe it is the actual load bearing part rather a retainers to keep the balls on the spider. From what I have found breakage is caused by either impact or deflection of the axle past the angle it was designed for. FWIW my 75 has the cupped washer.

Worst case is to purchase new so no tragedy.

Marshall, it is not for my car. I will pass that on as it certainly is a viable option.  What did you want for them? There are a pair of axles out on ebay so if someone runs up against those we are aware they are out there. The question we are working on is how big the cage is as I betting that Lobro did not just have the one joint for each brand of car and I know there are three different sizes for VW that are available. As with all things old research is needed.

2 hours ago, JayMac said:

Marshall, it is not for my car. I will pass that on as it certainly is a viable option.  What did you want for them? There are a pair of axles out on ebay so if someone runs up against those we are aware they are out there. The question we are working on is how big the cage is as I betting that Lobro did not just have the one joint for each brand of car and I know there are three different sizes for VW that are available. As with all things old research is needed.

Here is my ad with pic and detail. 

2xM3