• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

non starting M10 engine

Robberrick

Really starting to get annoyed now.

I recently rebuilt an M10 engine with an E12 head.

Rebored block, oversize piano top pistons and rings(.5mm), new bearings, oil pump. water pump, machined head, polished combustion chambers, ground valve seats, replaced valve seals, pressure tested head.

Originally installed 40DCOE Webers but could not get engine to idle at all.

Changed back to original Solex 40 PDSI carb and now the engine will not start at all.

Checked that cam mark aligns with sprocket and that no 1 piston is at TDC, both camshaft lobes point down and inlet and exhaust are shut.

Mark on flywheel and pointer on front of engine lines up with pulley.

Set dizzy so that at TDC rotor points to no 1 plug lead on cap, points are open and plug leads are positioned for 1342 firing order.

Checked fuel supply.

Will crank but not fire.

Any ideas please.

engine with Solex carb 001.JPG

71 BMW 2002 racecar with S14 motor.

Sounds like you have everything set correctly.  Did you check for spark?  Start at the plugs and work back towards the distributor.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

From what I can see in your picture, I think plug leads on the cap that are marked 1,2, 3 & 4  are retard by one position in clockwise direction. The notch in the lip of dizzy body, which rotor pointed when engine is at #1 TDC is to the left of advance vacuum. That is my 2 cents, but I also like to see picture posted with dizzy cap off and seeing that notch on the dizzy and the the rotor at #1 @ TDC

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

Thanks Guys,

Just to verify my timing settings I have added some photo's:

1. TDC Front pulley mark in line with pointer on engine- piston at TDC no 1

timing marks front pulley.jpg

2. TDC mark on flywheel shown in inspection hole in transmission housing - piston at TDC no 1

TDC timing mark flywheel.jpg

3. rotor position in line with mark on distributor housing at TDC and in line with dizzy cap no 1 terminal - points open and plug leads set for firing order 1342. Cap fits in position as shown with no 1 in line with rotor

.distributor rotor on TDC.jpg

other info:

distributor Bosch PN 0231180005

battery CCA 500 RC 90 charged to 13 Volts - seems to labour but could be because engine is still tight

Do you think I need to advance or retard? I can tune with timing light once I get the beast started.

Move the distributor 5, 10 15 degrees one direction, if nothing happens. move it back to 0 and then move it -5, -10, -15 degrees the other way. a few degrees on a distributor can make a world of difference.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

How new is the battery? What amps are you getting when you crank the engine?

If that checks out, I would have a friend crank it while you turn the dizzy slightly and see if you can get it to sputter.

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

OK I have established that there is spark at plugs.

Waiting now for my son to visit on the weekend so that I can get him to help me activate the starter while I play with the dizzy adjustment.

I have ordered Pirtronix ignition and coil and new leads to boost spark.

Failing this I am going to slit my wrists.

The engine started after turning distributor clockwise so that ball on flywheel centralizes in window in transmission tunnel. Engine ran for 5 mins and stopped.

Now it will not start again. No spark now at plugs. So I am checking all parts now.

Bosch Distributor P/N is 0231 180 005

Distributor cap P/N is 1235 522 058 - this is a new cap, the old cap had P/N 1235 522 107 (distributor caps look exactly the same)

Could it be the condensor that has failed?

On 4/13/2016 at 1:03 PM, achman said:

How new is the battery? What amps are you getting when you crank the engine?

If that checks out, I would have a friend crank it while you turn the dizzy slightly and see if you can get it to sputter.

I put 2 x 12V batteries in series allowing the engine to crank rapidly and moved the dizzy clockwise about 10 degrees and it fired, ran for 5 mins and then died.

Now it will not start again. Checked that electric fuel pump was working and that there was plenty of fuel in the carburettor. It appears that I now have no spark.

Could it be an ignition switch problem? 

Roberrick, I would not series 2 batteries, you will fry your 45yo electrics with 24v.

Yes you could have killed the condenser, you can run without one, the points will just get eaten quicker, but not this side of Christmas.

What is your spark plug gap? Are they clean (all the fuel and cranking I'm sure they are fouled). Check and recheck the basics, you will get there.

Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

1 hour ago, Robberrick said:

I put 2 x 12V batteries in series

Wow that's brave, not necessarily smart. Could have fried coil too. And certainly the Pertronix but gladly you didn't have that connected yet.

But it sounds that your engine is mechanically good if it ran ok for that 5 mins. So that's good news. Just get the ignition sorted and then the Webers dialed in by someone qualified. 

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Ok Guys i used the wrong terminology. I should have said 2 x 12V batteries in paralell.

Anyway I solved the no start problem by:

renewing plugs with NGK BP 6ES

replacing standard points and condenser with Pertronix ignitor and 40,000V coil

This gave me a good spark and she fired first time once I had reset timing again.

Quite happy to run it with the standard Solex carb for awhile before uprating engine to fast street and refitting Weber carbs.