• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jump Start Now Wont Start HELP

aerowise

I used my '74 2002 to jump start my Saab, there was a bit of a spark when I first  clipped the lead because the other ends were touching. Nothing big, just a quick spark. I then proceeded but the 
Saab has bigger issues and wouldn't start... So I turn the 2002 off, I come back an hour later and try to start the 2002  and it won't turn over! Panel lights up but engine does nothing! I turn on the headlight s to see if they work, they do but the odometer goes wacky, pulses up and down, then the panel light surge and then back to normal. Turn the key and still nothing from the engine. All fuses are fine...

What has happened here? Any ideas? Please help!

Edited by aerowise
forgot an issue

2002 to 2112! What a Rush!-- '74 2002 - '91 Saab 900

No idea what could have happened. Fried the starter? Check the grounds? Check the battery terminals. I would remove the battery leads, clean them then reattach. I had my car not start once then start out of the blue the not start again. Terminals were tight. Still I unscrewed the terminals and it fired right up. Also I had a Saab and I recall in the owners manual it cautioned NOT to jump it. Don't know why but it clearly said it shouldn't be done. Mine was a 87 900 Turbo.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

You may have fried something on the SAAB. Possibly there is a breaker or in line resistor that popped, but you'd need a wiring diagram to figure that out. SAAB forum? Try the reboot above first aftter charging battery properly, or better, with a different fully charged battery.

Look at all the grounds. Particularly the grounds to the block. The voltage reg screws are also grounds.

I think current is feeding through the wrong ground paths now, which is why your speedo is jumpy.

Could be wrong, tho ;-)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I'm guessing the battery was damaged when the jumper cable leads made contact and shorted the battery. 

When I first got my car, the positive lead insulation was worn through and allowed the battery to short out briefly. It behaved just as you described. New battery fixed it. No issues since. 

I'd suggest pulling your battery and taking it your local auto parts store for a load test before you do too much other troubleshooting. 

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Another sob story, hope the jumper cable were not pos. to neg. For the 02, basic battery problem for any car could be acid moisture on the post that wicked up from the battery case becomes white corrosion build up over time, results occasional no starter  crank over. Voltage test meter is best to have to find electrical problems.

Chris