• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE: I've dropped in a new alternator, regulator. Still same old problem, except it seems to give me a bit of different results each time.

Either way, the alternator isn't giving charge to the battery — keep in mind, I've swapped in new parts. My last resort, is wiring?

I'm not the most familiar with wiring, so would gladly just take it to a reputable shop in Portland (if anyone knows of any, list them).

I've had so many stops on the road, to the point where I'll just take it to a shop have em fix it and be done with it.

Let me know your thoughts.

-Slavik

I agree that it is time to take the car to a shop, if you can afford it- will save a lot more grief and it sounds like you have already had too much.

Just scanned through your posts again and didn't see this. Have you had your battery load tested?

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

26 minutes ago, Chris_B said:

I agree that it is time to take the car to a shop, if you can afford it- will save a lot more grief and it sounds like you have already had too much.

Just scanned through your posts again and didn't see this. Have you had your battery load tested?

How much would you roughly expect to pay at a shop? I'm thinking $100 all done?

-Slavik

If all of your parts are good, I think you can count on at least 1 hour if not 2 to diagnose and repair the problem (sounds like wiring at this point). Figure on ~$100/hr for labor. Might be lower if you are in a lower-cost-of-living area.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Diagnostics on an old car isn't cheap. YOU can do it! Wiring on an 02 isn't hard! Really good spot to start and learn!!

Assuming you're getting the same result every time (park car and battery dies in a few hours), what you're going to need to do is get a multimeter and turn it to DC amps (not milliamps) then disconnect the ground on the battery and measure the amp draw between the ground post and the cable. From there, start pulling fuses one at a time until the meter changes (probably drastically). You can then figure out what's on that circuit and narrow it down from there! Spend money on tools, not shops!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2