• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002 Ti Alpina on EBay - $79,000

Mark92131

I saw this ad and thought I would pass it along.  A 1972 BMW 2002 Ti? in Inka (originally Malaga) over Black interior.  The VIN decodes to a 71 Production US Spec car, so I'm not sure what to think.  Possibly a 71 BMW USA Spec car that was sent to Alpina for treatment, but no Ti specific parts?

NM/NA,

Mark92131

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-2002-ti-/182094639248?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a65afb090:g:j~0AAOSwVghXEbTJ&item=182094639248

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Sorry, seller.  A ti is defined by its VIN, not the presence of a badge!

VIN 2579060 is simply a plain old 1972 base 2002 (manufactured November 1971) -- the Columbia 2002 Club decoder shows calendar rather than model years.  And let's ignore the fact that tii production had commenced, and ti production had ceased by November 1971. Chances of this car ever visiting the Alpina shop?  Slim (an Alpina roll bar and clutch, if they are, indeed, such, do not make an '02 an Alpina).  The seller did get one thing right: it is a 1972.  If someone wants to pay $79K for it, bless their heart!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I looked at this ad as well and contacted seller. Seller said BMW NA. Verified but no proof provided! Rear USA running lights were shaved as per his second to last picture in ad! As 02ti's never had these! Unless a importer added them which is unlikely due to age! As per resto well pictures speak for themselves. I'll be listing a authentic 2002ti on eBay as well soon. Emblem only of course! Lol

On April 17, 2016 at 0:23 AM, Howrein said:

I looked at this ad as well and contacted seller. Seller said BMW NA. Verified but no proof provided! Rear USA running lights were shaved as per his second to last picture in ad! As 02ti's never had these! Unless a importer added them which is unlikely due to age! As per resto well pictures speak for themselves. I'll be listing a authentic 2002ti on eBay as well soon. Emblem only of course! Lol

No ambiguity here.  This is a USA model 2002 -- 2002ti's and 2002tii's are shown clearly by sub-model -- manufactured November 1971, after ti production ceased, and, of course, there were no USA model ti's manufactured.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

This Seller (Koorosh) has had many '02s pass through his business over the past few years, so, he must have learned something about them. Strange that he would spin a tale if not part, at least, were true (maybe this USA model remained in Europe, wherever, until the '90s).

No clue about the roll cage, but "French" round taillights were available from BMW, along with orange headlights for the French market. Just like the USA only taillights were available from BMW.

Bidding is already at $30k; maybe it's the cloisonné Rally badge that's the clincher.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

On April 17, 2016 at 10:56 AM, 02Les said:

This Seller (Koorosh) has had many '02s pass through his business over the past few years, so, he must have learned something about them. Strange that he would spin a tale if not part, at least, were true (maybe this USA model remained in Europe, wherever, until the '90s).

No clue about the roll cage, but "French" round taillights were available from BMW, along with orange headlights for the French market. Just like the USA only taillights were available from BMW.

Bidding is already at $30k; maybe it's the cloisonné Rally badge that's the clincher.

I'm not accusing the seller of spinning a tale, Les.

I'm accusing him of not knowing that a November '71 USA 2002 cannot be a 2002ti regardless of the story he's been told by a prior owner, or the exciting life the car may have, indeed, lived.  And I'm not denying the car could have spent time in France (a high school classmate's older brother took his '68-ish USA 2002 to Germany for a couple years).  And a car doesn't become an Alpina because it has French lights, readily available from BMW back in the day.  But how did it become a bona fide ti?  A re-body?  Well, the seller says the engine and chassis are numbers matching.  So the chassis and engine block are both of a November '71 USA 2002.  And I don't see brackets for the ti airbox (or the airbox itself).  Solexes?  Nope.  What's left from a bona fide ti?  The nosepiece has a snorkel, but of course I believe more than half of all nosepieces have been swapped by now, so I'm not even considering that in my evaluation of "ti-ness".  You say you've got a ti and you're asking a ti price?  Show me your ti VIN!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Koorosh explains...

I think it would be justified make some clarifications here:

-This car is a 1972 U.S production model year BMW 2002 ordered from BMW with 2002ti specifications and therefore it is a real 2002ti model, all though it was ordered under a 2002 BMW allocation from the United states, which actually makes it the only U.S. market car ever ordered with a 2002ti Specification ever and therefore an anomaly.

-It is not one of the European 2002ti models designation cars produced by BMW from the 2 years of production as 1970 and 1971 model year production which their VIN number started from 1680001 up to 1696450  

-The car was ordered by a wealthy iranian street rally driver celebrity whom was a U.S. citizen  and residing in the united states when the car was ordered.  He took delivery of the car and registered it in France where he kept it and participated in only 12 street rally races competitions across Europe and Asia with his beloved 2002ti since he usually used his Mini Cooper for street rally races.

-The mileage is also in Kilometers and is original with the Speedometer and Odometer in perfect working order so the mileage is closer to 20,000 actual miles  

-The Cluster Bezel was changed to wooden style from later model 1974 to 1976 BMW 2002 models purely for enhancing the look of the interior and having it match the look of his Dino steering wheel, very eccentric if I may say so.  

-Original color was Verona, which he later changed to Inka.  It has been done properly.

-The reserve has been lowered and the next bid will meet reserve.  (I tried removing the reserve but was unable to do so since there were bids)

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Well, I tried as hard as I could, and I couldn't find anything ti specific about this car at all.  Nothing.  Even the battery tray is wrong.  The intake manifold doesn't look right either, but I can't tell for sure from the crappy picture.  BMW sure sold that Iranian dude a bill of goods.  Maybe it has the ti boxed arms and bigger brakes, etc., but the seller is keeping the underside of the car secret.  As a ti owner, I want to be offended, but I can't even work that up.  $30k, wow.

Andy

1971 2002ti

Hmm, difficult to believe the story, Without a certificate from BMW, the original delivery invoice and the original invoice from Alpina its just a resto-mod, for 20k. The lines are nice, but the fusebox and countless "improvements" let it down and cast a shadow on its claimed provenance. If the cluster bezel was the only thing changed, that would be nice. The last round of bidding should have about hit the top of what it is worth unless there is a race engine with forged pistons hiding somewhere between the lines. It would be interesting to know if BMW actually did take any such special orders. Doubt that Alpina would have, since none of the items added are really in their core program....

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight