• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weak brakes

Stevenc22

Thought Steve may be referring to the replacement of his slave cylinders. 

I set the 17mm adjustment so that the brakes grabbed properly with the e-brake according to the blue book. This was with the shoe replacement. Should I just crank them down some more? 

adjusting the brakes happens first, with the ebrake loose, correct?

Then the handle is set to four clicks to grab, using the cable adjusters... or something like that.  Right?

I would definitely just jack it up and see how much movement there is in the adjusters, to get them tight against the drums.  Tight, as in very slight drag... based on sound.

If they are still right there, then that was not your problem.  It is just so easy to check, why not do it?

Same with bleeding.  Go through the motions and watch for bubbles.  Pump the pedal, along with the pressure bleeder.  Rap on the calipers, to loosen any bubbles and bleed away.

It just seems like the logical place to start.

Over and Out.

4 hours ago, silasmoon said:

I set the 17mm adjustment so that the brakes grabbed properly with the e-brake according to the blue book. This was with the shoe replacement. Should I just crank them down some more? 

Set the 17mm adjustment without concern for the e-brake.  Adjust the 17mm out until the shoes contact and stop the drum.  Then back off the 17mm so the drum turns free.  Your shoes are then set correctly.  Then use the adjusting nut at the e-brake handle to adjust the e-brake.

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

You can get big 'corrections' in drum brakes after initially adjusting them as high spots are knocked off the shoes. Definitely worth a shot. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Reset the drum brakes today. I definitely had some play in both of them even though we had adjusted them not long ago. The brakes feel better for sure. I still can't get tire screeching lockup really. Although a friend and fellow 2002'er noted my brakes felt much better than his Tii's so perhaps I am just being picky. Will do more shakedown runs this weekend to see if they're seating properly. 

• 4 years later...

Bumping this thread to get some clarification.  Similar issues as above - braking system generally good condition, everything at least semi-recently overhauled.  Have good 'around town' braking, short/firm pedal, etc.  But when I brake HARD the pedal, though only about half way down, feels like it comes up against a 'wall' and more pressure does not seem to equate to more braking, and I can't seem to lock up the tires. Granted they're brand new 195 Falken Azenii(? What's the plural of 'Azenis?) So pretty sticky, but still feel like it ought to be better.  How do maladjusted rear shoes and/or brake booster issues manifest as difficulty in applying additional pressure to the pads?

When I adjusted the shoes, the initial bite improved dramatically. 

... Have you looked to see of your pads/shoes are glazed?

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.