• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest Oh Sh!t moment

xferboy

So far with mine (in resto mode completely stripped), I was grinding on some rust with a wire wheel attached to a angle grinder. Wearing Safety goggles and a dust mask.. a piece of the wire came flying up under my safety goggles and stabbed my under eye lid and made my eye blood shot red.. I started to turn white in fear that I was gonna have a piece of metal in my eye... Thankfully it only burned my skin and basically punched my eye. Still have both!!! Thankful for that.. Learned my lesson and now wear goggles/facemask while grinding hahaha. I may look like an idiot but Id raher walk away with both eyes working!

Mine also involves the rain, being young and dumb... but not that lucky.  Driving home after watching 4th of July fireworks in downtown Austin in the late 80s, I exited northbound MOPAC at 45th.  It had been raining and I was probably going too fast, or I lifted...blah, blah, blah... regardless...the coefficient of friction at the rear tires neared zero and the car swapped ends as I exited the uphill, slightly off-camber ramp onto eastbound 45th. The '69 snapped around with a resounding crunch against the inside curb and folded the driver's rear wheel up under the car... the CV joint took one for the team...

I was pointed the wrong way in a blind spot, in the rain, in the dark but I was able to get it limped across the street out of harms way... That was one sick looking car, but was not a terminal injury.  It was back on the road in a few days.

one of those cars I wish I had back...

eds 69 II.jpg

Ed Z

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Mine was while on our Spring RGB drive a few years ago (2011?). I was following Jason Gipson (& doing my best to catch up to him) as he blasted up a long incline and disappeared from view. I was quite unaware of the sharp left turn just after the crest of the hill. Frantic, I tried to brake and turn. Futility. I aimed my '02 so as to careen through the gauntlet of trees, down the hill and into a mucky cow pasture. Dieter was axle deep in mud and manure. My passenger, John Blake and I were pale and shaky, to say the least. I endeavored to drive my way out of the pasture. More futility. Some one got the attention of a farmer who volunteered to use his John Deere to tow my '02 out of the slop. After some nervous laughter and unconvincing bravado on my part, we continued with the drive. I took last place in line and drove more cautiously the rest of the day. I have been razzed ever since by those in the know. It was my mistake and I own it.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Jim, that off road excursion has become the stuff legends. I was doing my best to avoid a repeat when I was on the Spring Ridge Run 2016.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40