• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Familiar with "The Baggie Test?" It's Amazing!

COOP

I've been gradually getting the cars ready for Brisbane (can't wait!) and figured they were pretty much good to go...I probably hit them two-three times a month with "Quick Detailer" and they were both professionally detailed in the last year...so what could they possibly need?!

After spending two hours in the garage with Griot's Speed Shine and microfiber cloths one evening, I went to bed, switched on the Velocity Channel and was greeted by some Detailer Extraordinaire preparing a car for the SEMA "Battle of the Builders." He was explaining "The Baggie Test" which I had never heard of and which entails running the fingers in a plastic baggie over the paint and glass to check for surface grit and contaminants. Apparently (am I the only one who didn't know this?!), the baggie provides exponentially more sensitivity than the naked fingertips.

So last night I went out to the garage with a baggie and a 4-Pack of Delirium Tremens (delicious!) assuming that both cars would pass with flying colors and glass-like surfaces...WRONG!! Both cars, from the roofs/hoods/trunks to the windows to virtually every body panel felt like an alligator's hide with the baggie test (but more or less smooth with bare fingertips), interesting because they're always garaged and only driven about once a week. It gives you an idea of what's out there in the environment that we live and breathe in.

I was in the garage until 1am and clayed every inch of both cars (Clay Magic with lots of Griot's Speed Shine) and now everything feels flawless with the baggie test. I followed this up with P21S Paintwork Cleanser and then P21S 100% Carnauba wax (I love their products!). After 5 hours of rubbing on cars and drinking Belgian beer, I went to bed exhausted and buzzed, but very satisfied with the before & after.

COOP

PS: The most impressive thing of all was the exterior glass! Pre-claying, the Windows felt horribly gritty with the baggie test and looked ok, but not great. Now they feel like, well glass, and look like you could dive into them.

Edited by COOP

Never heard of that, that's cool! I'm gonna keep that in mind now

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Never heard of that.  That's cool!  I'm going to try to forget I heard it:  much too much work! ?

Best regards

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Where have you guys been?!  Claying can mar the paint, so it's best to polish after the clay bar and then add you last step product (sealant and/or wax)..

Nanoskin makes fine & medium wash mitts, foam pads, towels, and sponges if you want to get away from the clay.  They can still cause some surface marring.  http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-car-care-products.html

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I worked out quite a while back

that a wash with a diaper and some

dishes soap every few months was overkill-

all the time and money I saved on product and

product application would let me REPAINT the entire

car every few years.

And I much prefer painting to washing, anyway...

Plus, it let me thumb my nose at my obsessive- compulsive tendencies.

And, bonus, I save on shrink bills, too.

t

who believes clay is something you se to check your valve- to- piston clearance.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

9 hours ago, TobyB said:

And I much prefer painting to washing, anyway...

Plus, it let me thumb my nose at my obsessive- compulsive tendencies.

And, bonus, I save on shrink bills, too.

t

who believes clay is something you use to check your valve- to- piston clearance.

I don't do the 'like' button ... but I enjoyed this post, T.

Damn,

this thread reminds me of the very first time I washed an 02.  My moms boyfriend had a newish white roundie.  "Hey TK, wanna make $5?, go out and wash my car, the all the stuff's in a big bucket in the garage" (I was probably 12)  So I get the bucket, dump all the cleaning stuff out, fill the bucket with water, get the rag wet, put a bunch of AJAX on the rag......and commence a-scrubbing.  I got about half way done with the hood and for some reason, he runs out and starts yelling at me!!!

Still can't figure out why he was so mad ;)

TK

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

Procedure is similar to doing bodywork and trying to find those low and high spots when prepping for a paint job, sometimes much better than guide coat when you're blocking that primer; some surgical gloves or a clean soft rag which reduce the bare skin friction and also increase the sensitivity work great. I've seen and heard of too many instances of people running bare fingers over bare metal or primer. Say hello to fisheyes and paint blisters form those oily deposits.

With regard to Clay Bar "marring," the potential reasons for that occurring are fourfold: First, it's essential to use a fine grade-clay as opposed to some of the more aggressive versions, which are conceived for more serious conditions than your basic, surface contaminant situation. Second, don't skimp on the quick detailer  spray! Err on the side of wastefulness, you need the max lubrication. Third, and most importantly, you need to be very gentle and barely apply any pressure (the "American Man Syndrome" leads to an unfortunate, "harder is better" mentality). Tim McNair of Grand Prix Concours Preparation (gpconcours.com) advises that one should envision the clay "gliding" over the surface and lightly collecting impurities in the process like a vacuum. Finally, don't make a second pass! The motto is "once and done." If you want to hit a panel twice, dry it with a clean microfiber cloth, respray generously with your quick detailer and THEN go over it a second time. If you follow all four of these tips, I can promise you that you won't cause any marring or scratches whatsoever.

COOP