• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Familiar with "The Baggie Test?" It's Amazing!

COOP

This is an old trick and works well to feel abnormalities on the paint surface. I used to use the cellophane off my cigarette pack as it worked even better since it was thinner lol.

1969 2002 Colorado

1970 2002 Agave

1974 2002 sold back in the 80's

Didn't know about this 'baggie test' before. I figure with all the miles I drive Vern per year, 11-12K, as long as there are no swirls or halos in the paint that can be seen in the sun I'm happy. Not like I'm going to win a concours or anything other than an iron butt or distance driven award. Vern has been invited to the prestigious Greenwich Concours in Connecticut this year, so he'll be wearing his big boy shine. http://www.greenwichconcours.com   

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I can attest that clay-ing a car makes a significant difference in it's appearance; especially a light-colored car. My Manila car looked much brighter after I clay bar'd it. I could easily see the difference in each panel as I progressed.... It takes so little time, too.  Lots of detailer, swipe it with the clay and wipe with a cloth.  Then wax.

Helpful tip: Do not use the entire bar of clay to make your "pancake"... should you drop the clay on the driveway it will instantly pick up sand/grit... and you DON'T want that scratching your paint. Use a smaller pancake and throw it away if you drop it.

+1 on using the clay on the windows, too.  Clay the windshield, then apply RainX... the water really sheets off.  You won't have to worry anymore that your wipers are slow! :)

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

16 hours ago, NickVyse said:

you need to get out more!

I have a similar test for my old Landrover, I stick a bag on my head and pretend I cleaned it in the last year. 

You've got that right brother! When I watch the Petrolicious videos I feel genuinely envious of the unhindered drivers (for example, the Swig brothers in their Alfas) because I've turned into such an OCD, polishing fool, to the extent that I can't even enjoy the cars like I used to...it's terrible.

COOP

Some of my neighbors ask me why I remove the wheels/tires each year...

Most of my neighbors don't wash their cars themselves, nor vacuum them out.  They take them to the local gas station car wash.

I've been a Griot's Garage fan for MANY years.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 25/04/2016 at 2:08 PM, TobyB said:

I worked out quite a while back

that a wash with a diaper and some

dishes soap every few months was overkill-

all the time and money I saved on product and

product application would let me REPAINT the entire

car every few years.

And I much prefer painting to washing, anyway...

Plus, it let me thumb my nose at my obsessive- compulsive tendencies.

And, bonus, I save on shrink bills, too.

t

who believes clay is something you se to check your valve- to- piston clearance.

You must have excess body panel weight accumulated by those layers of paint that is slowing your car! :D

I was going to say that the Baggie would tear if you ran it over my daily driver.  That hood shot is awesome Jason.  No worries there mate .

Looking forward to seeing your car at Brisbane COOP.  

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️