• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ballast resistor - replace with external?

theNomad

So I started the car up for the first time since February or so. Happy to be at this point.

Of course I made a mistake with wiring it up and melted up the Ballast resistor wire. Slapped myself and put it on the right connection. 
It works but obviously needs replacing. 

Anyone just wire up a .9 ohm ballast resistor from the parts store instead of trying to find the "speaker wire"? I can't imagine any downside but I've got limited experience.

I'll be installing a Hotspark electronic ignition shortly as well and I have the original Black coil working fine.

After reading the install it seems this ballast resistor may still be needed? 

What year is your car?  It's my understanding that the '74 and later non-tii 2002s used a 0.9 ohm resistor wire.  You should remove that section of the burnt resistor wire and replace with the correct gauge regular wire.  If you can read the numbers stamped into the bottom of the black coil I can probably figure out what resistor it takes based on the Bosch part number.  I own black coils that take a 0.9 ohm resistor and I own black coils that take 1.8 ohm.  The part number is the best way to confirm which resistor is correct for your coil.  Some of the coils have a sticker on them that tells you which resistor it needs.  Or, get a 1.8 resistor and a "red" coil.  or a blue coil and no resistor.  If you hook up a resistor, place the red power for your Hot spark before the resistor so that it gets the full 12 volts when the engine is running (not the stepped down voltage after the resistor). 

Take a look at the Article called 'Ignition Coil Myths Busted' in the Electrical articles section of this site. 

Hope this helps.  

John

P1020426.JPG

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

You can use ballast resistor instead of the later model resistance wire. Just get the right size ballast and remove the old resistance wire replacing it with regular wire.

If you keep the black coil, you will always need a 0.9 ohm resistor since the electrical circuit needs 3 ohms total resistance. If you ever change coils and get a blue coil, then you will not need a resistor since the blue coils have 3 ohms of resistance built into them.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

After reading many different threads on here about this issue I'm having some issue with my new setup.

I purchased a red coil (silver with red label) and an bosch external resistor (1.8ohm) similar to the one in Johns post above. But Before I bought the bosch resistor I tried a cheaper one that was at a local shop, but it fried as soon as I turned the car on. (Same resistance, smoke was coming out of it and looked toast on the inside) I don't want the same thing to happen to the Bosch one I had to order. So before I install it I was wandering if anyone has had similar experiences or advice.

'72

Edited by Phantom

Phantom,

Looks like you have a '72.  What was the old coil setup on your car?  Was it running before you changed things?  

John 

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Looks like it was the stock setup. I'm not entirely sure. The old stuff looked pretty worn and needed to be replaced.

I was driving it around the engine died and I had no idea what I was. I narrowed it down to the ignition coil or resistor because I get no spark out of the coil.

20160414_133844.jpg

On 4/28/2016 at 6:25 PM, JohnS said:

If you hook up a resistor, place the red power for your Hot spark before the resistor so that it gets the full 12 volts when the engine is running (not the stepped down voltage after the resistor). 

So if I have the stock resistor wire is the hot spark + ok to connect to the + 15 terminal? It would not be 12v because it would already be stepped down. If it needs direct power I'd need to run a whole new wire. Do you have a hotspark connected on yours in that photo? Wouldn't that actually be stepped down power as you show a resistor in line?

Hi Nomad,

Mine is using a Pertronix (same idea as a HotSpark) and you can see in the photo that the Red wire with the Red push on connector is connected before the resistor, so it gets the full 12 volts.  The stepped down voltage is what comes out of the other side of the resistor and connects to the coil (Red and Green wire).  When using a resistor wire, you do need to either run an additional wire from the fuse box, or splice in an additional wire right where the resistance wire begins, not where it ends at the coil.  I had to do that on my '74 2002tii that has a resistance wire.  Good luck,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Isn't the 12v coming from the wiring harness green wire into the coil at the + terminal then going to the resistor, then after the resistor it is 9v going to the red wire? I'm not good with electronics so maybe I have the flow wrong? I guess I do.

Your wiring looks different. Is the hot 12v coming from the right angle spade? I guess that's where I'm confused. I have a large connector as seen on the coil coming from the harness.

Edited by theNomad

This should explain it for you.

#1 (solid green wire with right angle spade) is hot when the engine is running. (stepped down voltage after the resistor).

#2 is hot when the engine is being started (full voltage from battery for extra boost when starting)

#3 positive wire to Pertronix.

#4 negative wire to Pertronix.

#5 (solid black wire) to negative terminal on coil.

Green arrow is the current flow when the engine is running.

Red arrow is the current flow when the engine is being started.

CoilWiring.JPG

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

12 hours ago, Phantom said:

Looks like it was the stock setup. I'm not entirely sure. The old stuff looked pretty worn and needed to be replaced.

I was driving it around the engine died and I had no idea what I was. I narrowed it down to the ignition coil or resistor because I get no spark out of the coil.

The spade connector with two green & red wires going into it should be on the + side of the coil.  See my picture above with the numbers for an explanation.  Hope this helps,

John

coilwiring2.jpg

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️