• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ballast resistor - replace with external?

theNomad

Thanks, I see the issue. I don't have the continuous hot wire on mine. I do have a pigtail wire but didn't know what it was for as my car always started and runs just fine. I only have the ballast wire connected.  It may have been in the smog removal process. My voltage regulator is way on the other side of the car, wonder if it is even working. Got some testing to do I guess. 

Later cars might be wired differently.  I don't know anything except the two 2002s that I own '73tii & 74tii.  Good luck,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I don't know.  It looks like it's set up correctly to me now.  Time to hook up a volt meter and try to figure out if you're getting 12v at the positive connection on the coil when trying to start and then I'm not sure where to go from there.  You might check your fuses to make sure you didn't pop one when you had it hooked up incorrectly before.  I can't remember which fuse number controls power to the green wire with the right angle spade connector.  Anyone remember?

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I checked the fuses, all look pretty good. Traced the wires all around and didn't notice anything that might cause a problem (but I could have missed something.) My next best guess would be the relay above the coil. But that's just a shot in the dark. I looked into it anyway and can't find a replacement  :blink: Saw another thread about the relay,

Yes, that relay is what switches between the two power sources (when starting vs. engine running).  Hopefully you didn't remove or switch any of the wires going to it.

Volt meter is the best way to check things.  I've seen fuses that appear to be good.  Then you check for voltage across them and see that they are burnt.  

One piece of advice I can give for the future is always take good pictures of things before you take them apart.  I try to take tons of pictures beforehand so that I can remember exactly how things are supposed to go back together.  I do that because I'm by no means an expert.  Having a wiring diagram for your car is also a good thing.  Volt meters are cheap.  Good luck,

John

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I was just studying the wiring to the coil and realized that the change I suggested before of switching the terminals really doesn't change anything in the curcuit.  The way I suggested is just the way it's meant to be connected based on the lengths of the wires.  Look at it, it should work correctly the way you had it set up before and how I suggested you change it.  There's no difference except for cosmetics.  So it makes sense that there's no change in your car not starting either.  Now we gotta figure out the root cause.  Some help I am :)  

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I Didn't disconnect any relay wires. Just took a picture of it and tried to find a new relay online or at a parts shop. Can't find a replacement.

The Red wire with blue spade goes to the electric choke.

Checked voltage of old resistor and I had 1.1 ohms. Checked the resistance of the old coil, primary has about 2.0-2.5 ohms. 9.53k ohms on the secondary though. I'm not sure what the specs should be, but that seems like too much for a coil. I have't checked the new coil or resistor yet, but I will.

OK, so now I checked the new setup. Everything is how it should be. Started it up! It worked, didn't know why. Turned it off and started again. Fired right up!!!

I noticed it was low on oil so I added some. Filled the oil up to just below the top mark. Now it won't start again. Same issue as before. It seems inexplicably temperamental to the point I am getting annoyed.

The fact that the car started a couple of times and ran correctly makes it sound like the coil is wired up correctly.  Not sure how to trouble-shoot the intermittent starting problem.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Solved the problem.

Put new points in the distributor. The last ones were apparently worn. Swapped the condenser too.

So of anyone is having this problem in the future save yourself the trouble and buy a pertronix. I replaced the points with new ones, (cheap replacement) fired right up. Then I went to buy the electronic one. 

Anybody that can explain the placement of the wire resistor or got a picture showing the placement?

My 2002 from ´73 has got no external resistor so guessing it has the wire resistor... And I want to install accuspark, so need to hack a connection for the positive supply.

Regards, Kristian

Its in the wiring harness running along the back of the firewall. Here are pictures of where '76mintguru tapped the harness just before the resistor wire to get a postive supply.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.