• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help needed with heater hose

tsores

Help!  I am in the middle of changing the coolant hoses.  The hose provided by the parts vendor (I will save that for another discussion) connecting the engine to the heater core on the passenger side (I believe this is the heater inlet) does not fit.  It is too small.  I want to remove the nipple to file it down a bit.

Question:  What is the material of the gasket between the nipple and the cylinder head?  

Any other input appreciated.

Thanks.

What is the year of your 2002?  71 and later should have 18mm hoses.

There are (2) different diameters of heater systems. You can mix and match parts but sometimes run into problems with sourcing the correct hoses. 

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I was able to get the hose fitted by beveling the inside of the hose with a razor.  The vendor states that the hose kit is for late model 2002's.  I vendor seems to have a good reputation but I can't support that with this experience.  Not strong on customer support, either.  They just told me the product works and to narrow the fitting.  After that, I was on my own.  

Thanks for your help.

Why aren't you telling us your car year model. According to website below

64214474131 - BMW 1602 & 2002 14mm Heater Box Inlet Hose for models from 03/66-01/72

64211353368 - BMW 2002 & 2002tii Heater Box Inlet Hose for cars from 03/71-07/77.

http://www.rogerstii.com/heating-ac-1/

http://agscompany.com/product/radiator-hose-silicone-grease-pouch-4-g-100/

AGS Hose Lube.PNG

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

I would'nt be grinding on that outlet. And getting it out is a pig. And I wouldn't be cutting the hose. If you're sure you have the right hose, clean up the nipple, soak the hose in hot water, apply some anti-freeze to the hose end and heave away (said the Vicar...).

If your hoses looked like these, then they were way past due for replacement. Both pictures are from my 73tii.

3709019.jpg

3709017.jpg

This is why you change the coolant and hoses. Look at the corrosion build up on the branch manifold.

IMG_7160.jpg

Remnants of the heater coil in my 69 (what doesn't drain when removing the heater box from the car)

IMG_7817.jpg

72tii engine. Also note the RTV that has oozed into the water pump cavity on the front timing cover.

pics1232010013.jpg

This is the coolant inlet for the warm up regulator on the 72tii KF pump.  I had to cut the hose and use pliers to remove the old hose.

pics11282010022.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On all hoses I use a couple of wraps of electrician's tape around the hose, then install the hose clamp over the tape ..... helps keep the clamp from drastically compressing & tearing the hose as seen in above pictures.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner