• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Seat Belt Bolt Locations

ClayW

5 hours ago, theNomad said:

There are seat belt retractor kits that use a top mount anchor point with a bottom mount retractor that would mount to the bolt hole under the seat cushion. That seems like it'd work best for that application. Also, I hear that some E30 have parcel shelf mounted retractors that could be used. 

This is what I used for my 1975. Needed them for kids car seat safety! Retractor installed on shelf through hole.

13 hours ago, Harv said:

My 69 has the bolt hole under the rear windscreen on the parcel shelf that's in Les's post. 

Ha! It's one of the few original parts of my car!

i also have the middle and outer belt attachment spots. 

John

Is this what you are referring to?  Square weld nut with reinforcement to the right of the exhaust extractor fitting on my 5/69

IMG_9703_zps5a4b78d8.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

5 hours ago, steve k. said:

As we are talking about seat belts, Does anyone know where the anchor points are on the touring?

steve k.

Steve,

Maybe Les can chime in since his touring is in for bodywork. Or Mike Pugh. Or Bob Breed. Or Rob Torres. Or Bill Williams (and others)  My historical pics (courtesy of Keith Kreeger) don't show seatbelt details for the touring.  The Blue Book has some details for the rear seats on the touring...

00043318_m.jpg

00043322_m.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

On 5/2/2016 at 5:17 PM, ClayW said:

This is odd. 

My 1967 1600 doesn't have the mounting holes on the sides. I have the two in the middle, but nothing on the sides. Does anyone know if the early 1600s had only a single middle tear belt, or maybe no belts at all?

FWIW I have a '67 Mercedes 250se coupe that is a euro-spec car and it had exactly the same set up in the rear. I ended up drilling holes and welding on outboard mounts. From what I was able to gather rear belts were an option at the time and the euro cars got shoulder only with no lap belt. Information is thin on the ground to say the least and that's the best conclusion I could come to.

On May 2, 2016 at 10:54 AM, theNomad said:

There is also a bolt hole (maybe not on your year) above the side window latch for a shoulder belt hanger for the back seat if you were installing shoulder belts. 

20160206_154339.jpg

Those c-pillar holes are only on the square tail cars. I have 3-point belts mounted to them in my 74 too. Al made me a set. they work great.

mike tunney

8 hours ago, thinksound_mike said:

Those c-pillar holes are only on the square tail cars. I have 3-point belts mounted to them in my 74 too. Al made me a set. they work great.

Not quite true. I have them on my 73 roundie (admittedly a euro RHD). 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

17 hours ago, steve k. said:

As we are talking about seat belts, Does anyone know where the anchor points are on the touring?

steve k.

Steve,

Here's a couple of pics of mine.

Don't look under the carpeted shock towers unless you want to be surprised!!!!

DSCN2155sm.JPG

DSCN2064sm.JPG

UWX Rear Seatbelt 2.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 hours ago, Simeon said:

I always learn something from this site. Good to know, I tried to stay away from roundies for that reason. My wife wouldn't allow the kids in the car without proper 3-point belts. Thanks!

mike tunney

7 hours ago, Simeon said:

Also on my '73 US tii. Although I just put 3-point belts in the rear and didn't even use them. According to Al and others it is better to simply mount the reel on the rear deck.

Les-  is that a smaller version of the spare tire holding nub being used as the rear seat bottom anchor point in your touring?  Those crafty Germans.

ps. Your car is very rusty - sorry.

Jim Gerock

On May 4, 2016 at 8:28 PM, jgerock said:

Is this what you are referring to?  Square weld nut with reinforcement to the right of the exhaust extractor fitting on my 5/69

IMG_9703_zps5a4b78d8.jpg

Yes

john

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:20 PM, jgerock said:

Les-  is that a smaller version of the spare tire holding nub being used as the rear seat bottom anchor point in your touring?  Those crafty Germans.

ps. Your car is very rusty - sorry.

I guess it is a smaller version Jim; I'd never noticed it before now. Getting the two sections of the rear seats out was a real chore.

It's not quite as rusty now as it was......it's coming along.....slowly.

DSCN2357sm.JPG

DSCN2358sm.JPG

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17