• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater box rebuild question

Gordon

In the FAQ heater box rebuild tech article, it gives parts needed to rebuild the heater box.  I've been in my heater box numerous times (in numerous 02's) over the years but I've never replaced the flap bushings/grommets.  I was in my heater box last year due to a leaky heater core but decided at the time not to replace the bushings/grommets.  Hindsight is easy, now I wish I had done it all at the same time since I have hot air leaking into the cabin.

Grommets, 6 ea. rubber, 7/16" outside diameter, 5/16" groove diameter, 3/16" bore, 1/32" groove width; note that grommets are available in different materials. Harder materials are better for this application [flap hardware pivot bushings]

Question, where do you find grommets/nylon bushings in this size. I've been to numerous hardware stores and the closest I could come was in attached pics. The nylon bushings I found are close but don't fit right.

G-Man

IMG_4108.JPG

IMG_4109.JPG

IMG_4110.JPG

IMG_4111.JPG

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

i've used rubber grommets found in the electrical section of your favorite hardware store.  having nylon or delrin bushings is overkill, i think.  nice to have, but, really?

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I found these bushings from McMaster-Carr.  They were not too tight on the shafts, and I lubed them with silicone grease on the ID.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9600K108

These are rubber grommets.  The ID, though, is 13/64, just a hair over 5mm.  The ones with 3/16 ID that I tried previously did not allow the 5mm shaft to pivot freely

Edited by harold
Clarification

I ended up using the rubber grommets like others have done.  I found some nice nylon bushings that fit the shaft, but I couldn't slide them over the bends in the shaft, so just went with the rubber ones.

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

• 1 year later...