• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trap mirrors, do they mount the same as flag ones?

JohnS

Hi guys,

I was thinking about possibly replacing the flag mirrors installed on my '73tii with the trapezoidal kind.  Do both type of mirrors mount the same (using the same two holes with the captive nuts)?  Thanks,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

John - i believe so.  I've seen so many older 02s with flags, and newer ones with traps, that they must be interchangeable. (I can't believe everyone who's done that has switched attachment hardware, or done a custom fit. Many didn't even know the had the wrong style for their cars year).

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

FWIW, I recently replaced a fogged trapezoidal shaped mirror with the newer style using the same mounting plate and a new grub screw.  In other words, the two mounting screws were not removed but merely snugged.  That said, I suppose it possible that the mounting hole positions could have differed over the years.

(Of course a combination of racers tape, velcro and hot glue might make any mirror fit. :P)

Thanks for the confirmation John.  I'll probably end up doing the same.  I switch the front kidney grill on my coupe from the all silver to the chrome and black when the mood strikes.  I'm weird like that.  Thanks,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

The answer is yes, but no.

Both the mounting position and also the mounting bracket for rectangular and trapezoid mirrors are identical.  So yes, you can change between the two as you please.  However, the foot of the rectangular mirror is larger, so where the black plastic seal rubs against the paint you will get some minor scratches, and these scratches will sadly not be hidden below the foot of the trapezoid mirror.  Erhm... so no.

Well, at least no if your proud of your otherwise thoroughly mint paintjob.

On a sidenote, those early swan-neck mirrors were only used on the 02's up until the end of the '68 model year.
On '66 and '67 models they even placed the swan-neck mirror at the very front edge of the door, i.e. ahead of the quarterlight window.  For the '68 models they moved the swan-neck mirror back to the behind the quarterlight where it of course stayed for the remainder of 02 production despite going through two other designs of door mirror.

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

Thanks for the information Anders.  I guess I'll find out how the paint looks beneath the rubber bases on my flag mirrors when the new trap mirrors arrive.  Good thing I'm used to learning through the school of hard knocks ;)

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️