• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Alpina Bi-Metallic Rims by Borrani

Conserv

Placing entries in the new rim database reminded me that I've been looking for a set of these Alpina bi-metallic rims for years, but have found virtually none for sale. OK, I have an R1/472 that I found in Italy 3 or so years ago!  And I recently found an R1/508 here in the States. Both are shown below. Yes, they are rare. There are at least a few more here in the U.S., but more in Europe. I heard a sighting of a set in the Salt Lake City area a few years back, but I'm unable to locate the owner (on a red '02; that's all I know). Got one? Got two? Got more?

The rims I’m looking for are 13" x 5 1/2" and marked R1/508. The R1/472 model is quite similar. It appears to have a 4x98 PCD — convertible by a good wheel shop to a 4x100 PCD — but its offset, ca. ET34, is sub-optimal for an ‘02 — yes, a 5mm spacer would help. The "bi" in bi-metallic refers to their construction of alloy centers riveted to alloy rims (barrels), the two components in this case, presumably, of different alloys. This made them strong but lighter in weight. Borrani made similar rims for Lancias.

Please let me know if you have some that you would consider selling. And even if you don't want to sell them, you could contact me just to tease me! PM or email to khfstc@aol.com. Alternatively, I'll pay a 15% finder's fee if you can put me in touch with someone who owns one or more that I am able to purchase (only the first person who leads me to a given seller gets the finder's fee). That's right, there are multiple ways to win here!

I've been able to find some pretty darned rare items through this WTB section. I'm hoping the WTB and all you '02 enthusiasts will bring me luck on these rims!

Thanks and regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_9544.JPG

IMG_9546.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Check those rivets VERRRRY carefully. I've seen 300SL riveted wheels in the early stages of "oh-shitted-ness", as the rivets stretched and got loose. The car in question had just driven 80 miles to our shop, and I was checking wheel bearings, when I discovered the wheel falling apart. *yeeks!*

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

33 minutes ago, wegweiser said:

Check those rivets VERRRRY carefully. I've seen 300SL riveted wheels in the early stages of "oh-shitted-ness", as the rivets stretched and got loose. The car in question had just driven 80 miles to our shop, and I was checking wheel bearings, when I discovered the wheel falling apart. *yeeks!*

Much appreciated, Paul!

That is actually something I never envisioned as a potential problem.  You see, Paul, I don't have lots of old riveted rims, and even fewer 300SL's!  And, even now that I realize this unforeseen risk factor, I'm going to need AT LEAST 3 more rims worth of those rivets before I can fall into that chasm!

It is, nonetheless, quite flattering to finally share an issue with a 300SL, one of my dream cars since I was, oh, 4 years old!    Seriously.

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

Such a cool wheel, good luck with your search - you would certainly be a worthy owner of such a rare set of wheels! Maybe it's because I am researcher by trade, but I love these kind searches for rare parts, it's a huge thrill to come across something rare and beautiful. I have put out some feelers across the globe for these wheels in the past, but as you mentioned no one has really ever seen a set of them. Are you going to go the Alpina route and paint the centers black? ? 

Best of luck in your search! John

594173cc8eeae_Alpinacolorphoto.thumb.jpeg.13ef31e25a02cd7ca46878bcd9d8921f.jpeg

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

On 6/14/2017 at 1:36 PM, JohnP_02 said:

... Are you going to go the Alpina route and paint the centers black? ? 

Best of luck in your search! John

594173cc8eeae_Alpinacolorphoto.thumb.jpeg.13ef31e25a02cd7ca46878bcd9d8921f.jpeg

Thank you, John,

Yes, my plan is to go with the dark centers and light rims. Notwithstanding this Alpina marketing photograph, other contemporary photographs suggest the centers may have been dark gray rather than black. Regardless of what color(s) Alpina used for these rims, it's curious that BMW chose to use a dark gray for the center of the factory turbo's standard steel rims. Maybe I should worry about the black-versus-gray issue when I actually have a set....

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

10 hours ago, saaron said:

I'll bring an extra suitcase or two...

Scott

Remember my IG post about the South American customs restrictions?  May be the same for Italy.   For those that are not in Instagram, the customs declaration form for South America states used auto parts are prohibited.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"