• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what's your '02's value?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Most '02 owners are inherently CHEAP. BUT, there are some owners who are prepared to pay for the very best. Cheap owners think cheap. Well financed would be owners are prepared to spend $30.000 to $57,000. Just read about the current restos that Korman & TheWerkShop are doing.

So, get you car in outstanding condition and find the right buyer. Then your car can be worth $30-57K too.

Merry Christmas

Mac.

ps. 3-5/8" of invoices(don't care how many $$$).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

...for $10K. The buyer backed out at the last minute.

Orange Julius is an Inka '73tii, sunroof, four speed, matching number car that still has some original paint in the door jambs, engine compartment. About 140,000 original miles on (original) kph speedometer. He's been crashed front and rear. Acceptable paint job in mid eighties, engine rebuild (w/receipts) about the same time. Five documented owners. Original bumpers, door mirror, correct silver 15" wipers. Lots of non original equipment: Scheel seats, Mario Andretti Momo wheel, custom black carpeting, dash pad and trunk mat. Newer door panels with no speaker holes. New tires on 320is wheels, Curt Ingraham radiator. Vintage stress bar, air horns, S-W gauges (3) in correct aftermarket dashpod, wink mirror, vintage Blaupunkt am/fm cassette. Vintage front/rear fog lamps and H-4 headlight conversions w/bubble covers.

Engine smokes a little and the clutch slips. There's a few "stars" on the windshield. He's been in the south or southwest until the late 1980s and garaged in Washington DC until coming to Michigan in 2001. Solid, as rust-free as an original car can get, but no Beauty Queen. Some ripply panels. The underside shows a few off-road excursions. I try not to drive him in the rain and I recall thoroughly washing him just once in three years.

Even after all of the stupid little things I've replaced like windshield wiper grommets, door handle gaskets, window squeegees, grill section, side trim, door catches, door brakes, dome light switches, rear bumper vertical bars, etc., etc., I have considerably less than $10K invested.

Delia

P. S. Dave Widner sold a similar, but nicer, '73tii last summer on ebay for $13,500.

Guest Anonymous

she might hear you.

Well if you have $26k into it then it is worth at least that to you. Otherwise you wouldn't have done the resto. Now it is much more difficult to say what she is worth to others at any given time.

The arguement for ebay is that it gets as close to a perfect open market as is possible. Do you think posting her for sale on the message board, BMWCCA roundel and the local paper would reach as broad market as ebay, not a chance. Problem with roundel and message board is that %90 of people reading those mediums are already 02 owners. Ebay provides the best access to the greatest amount of qulified people SO.. to get to my point your cars value in the open market would be much more closer to $16K I would argue and I think you would be surprised if you ever sold her - we wont hold our breath.

How many times have you said to your self or fellow 02 nut..." I have this part abc for sale....I will give it to you for $100" knowing that it is likely worth 25% or 50% more on ebay, and yet we sell it to our locally for less. Does that make the part worth 50% less?

I have posted parts for sale on the boards and gotten no response or offers of low-balling only to sell them for double my asking price on ebay. Clearly I was understating the value of the part and overstating the market.

Guest Anonymous

The 1972 2002 is worth about $4K IMO. It was free and we have about $3K into it since acquiring it a year ago. This car is a real interesting find. I have been writing up its history including the work done on it. It has 157K documented miles -- and the documentation is complete from the first day it was delivered until now.

The 1973 2002 was purchased for $1K or so and we have about $1.4K into it so far. I think the car is sitting right at breakeven right now... about $2.5-2.7K. I will be advertising it for sale shortly to the folks on the list for 1st reasonable offer over $2.3K. I have a long tale describing the car in detail. I have pictures from the previous owner, but I have done a number of things to change it's appearance so the pictures are no longer accurate. Some of you may have seen me talk about it already since I just bought the car about 4 weeks ago. It is now in very good daily driver condition. The interior looks much better now that I have returned it to a very clean, stock look. With the exception of acceleration smoke (oil rings need to be done within 10K miles, the compression rings are still excellent since it has 142 compression in all 4 cylinders and about 10% leakdown) the mechanicals on the car very good. We have done a lot of sorting out.

Would be willing to send the complete details on either car if anyone is interested. The white 1972 is not for sale, but the Pastelblau 1973 will be shortly.

Brian

Guest Anonymous

1976. Bought for 2500 bucks. probably have about 8-10 grand in it in parts, paint, seats, etc. Ive done all the work myself, probably have a couple thousand hours in it, easy. maybe more. Highly modified though, it will be on ebay soon and we will see what it brings!

Guest Anonymous

I bought mine for $2500, a '69 1602. I have already put, unfortunately, another $2500 into rebuilding the head plus some peripherals, as I needed it on the road in a matter of days and could not afford the time to do it myself. (Had a cracked head, which the previous owner chose not to disclose) I then put another $700 into vented front brakes and 320 rears with steal lines, with some of the 320 alpina style wheels(all done myself) I have another $300 worth of parts to go on it (tie rods, uerathane bushings, center bearing, etc). I have another $150 in sheet metal to go on, used doors and a front panel in great shape. I believe I need new springs, shock and to rebuild my front struts. As the car can ride like a tank, while sagging in the rear and listing to the right. Any ideas?

All this money does not compare to the joy that I have experienced since I bought her (Nadine: "The green bean") in August of '03. Who will eventially go back to her birth color of Fjord blue. She already had a 5 speed with a 72'tii engine so some of the major upgrades had already been done. I plan on putting a 6-series seat setup in (Anyone have a complete set they want to sell preferably black but tan would work?) as I drive her over a 100 miles a day. Yes we commute together. Other than my Fam, she is the love of my life, therefore, she is PRICELESS!

Not to mention, I will own more than just one in time, in time....Merry Holidays to everyone and be safe. Remember Pick'n Pulls on the 3rd or 10th of Jan, there's going to be someone who wraps their beamer around the preverbially lightpole before the new year, there always is.

Guest Anonymous

...have purchased here in the Good ole Yew S of A.

Camaro SS

Boss Mustang

AMC Javelin

Plymouth Roadrunner

Cuda

Nahhhhhhhhhhhh!

I'd say that was was money well spent on an '02.

Besides, we wouldn't have all of your expertise. That's worth a whole lot more...

D

Guest Anonymous

but the close-ratio steering box, new bilsteins, springs, Weber 38, 5-speed tranny could fetch $ 1,500 or so.

I paid $ 5,000 in 1981 and if I sell it it could be one of those "Get a Free Car when you buy the C/R Steering Box" deal ...

Guest Anonymous

I bought it in January 2002 for $4.5k w/ Dave Cruise motor with 31k. Since then I've put in a few things: recaros, close ratio five speed, LSD, suspension, Alpina 15x6 wheels, and Alpina A4 injection system and 292 Schrick cam.

But, I'd sell it if I find the right touring. Or may a 3.0 csl.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

I have new engines in both cars, the A4 is custom built in many regards, the Appraisal for it is 10 pages long. But, the Sahara has actually cost me more than the Inka , over the years,- upgrading and replacing every system except the paint and trim( that will come when i have 6k to throw at it in 1 bolus). I have tried to organize my receipts several times and i cant get enough tranqs to achieve the task, lol. Both my cars are "lifers" :I love them both, I would never get a fraction of what i have into the Sahara out of a sale, and the Inka is too special and would be way too expensive on the market except for a dedicated and wealthy 02 hands-on person. It cannot be replaced except at astronimical cost- probably every part COULD be found- but it would take a lot of time and money( also reflected in Appraisal). Hell- my cars are better cared for than their owner- they receive immediate attention and finest parts. And i still have goodies for them both. Sorry: cannot put a dollar number on them- it would be too embarrassing and depressing.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

issue: "lifer" car to you, no doubt. Great restoration and improvement on systems. You know that 02s know what you say about them- and they can be vengeful little beasts if insulted. I would aplogize to her as soon as possible! Happy Holidays- jay

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

Bacchus 72 tii purchased in 1999 for $5500, I got probably another 6k into it(big brakes,sway bars,recaros,quaife,bilsteins,etc) I don't think I can get any more than 6 or 7 today, maybe $7500 in ebay, sad...