• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a gem from F1 dimplemeister

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

gave each one of my honor-student punks a $2500 E30 to go to college in. Unfortunately, they are a disgrace to their fellow punks by continuing to have great grades there.

Where did I go wrong????

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Me? A punk? My wife, cats and house might beg to differ. I've paid for all (both) of my '02s with my own hard-earned money, which I've earned through my real honest-to-God non-punk DoD contractor job.

I'll agree that folks are entitled to opinions, misinformed as they may or may not be. I hope our friend, whose insights and stories I often enjoy, might at least not paint all of us with the very same brush. The entire 2002 community is nothing if not eclectic. Consider the variety of people and cars that showed up to Spartanburg almost two years ago now (yes, I was there)...and that was the boring eastern seaboard!

I might ask, though, if his view of our collective opinions is as he stated, why bother asking us what we believe our cars are worth? Makes no sense to me...

Happy holidays!

Tim

'76 2002--paid for

'03 Golf--still paying, God help me

'04 MCS--hoping to pay for over the next five years

Guest Anonymous

Everyone has at least one. And my opinion is that I must be a punk. I mean, I bought my own cars (Dad or Mom never did) and I put a hell of a lot of money in my 02 so I am not realistic in my car's value. So if that is being a punk, then I'm guilty. Not sure what plain of realitiy he is on but if he doesn't like the conversation then don't contribute. Whining to another board about the conversation is like saying "I'm telling Mom about you."

Guest Anonymous

...close to Jay's age, but I truly admire his willingness to state his point of view.

He's "been there, done that," as they say, and besides his creative gifts to the automotive community as aphotographer, he knows a thing or two about BMWs.

I can recall, a long time ago time when "speaking out" was what we all did. It was important. We knew our rights.

In today's homogenized climate of political correctness, it seems that there's little to gain from stating one's opinion other than to risk being shouted down by the status quo.

I know from experience that you develop a pretty thick crust when you cling to a value system that includes what are now considered "old fashioned" ideals like ethics and integrity. In that regard, Jay and others like him, have never "sold out to the Man." Not everyone around since the 70s can claim those bragging rights. The dead ones aren't talking.

You don't have to agree with him, just give him a break. He's earned it.

So I'm a punk. Big Deal. I've been called worse on this board.

Delia

Guest Anonymous

Well I guess he is right about some of of. I listen to punk music all the time, thats all I listen to, so I guess that makes me a punk then eh. I also bought my car when I was 16, and dad did help a little, but I did pay for half. It still looks as good as when I bought it over 4 years ago, minus some damage caused by idiot parking lot drivers. I'll probably have this car for a LONG time. I couldn't muster up selling it recently to buy a 48,000 miles original 68' Ford Cortina, going for $1500. I want one of those and they are not to easy to find.

Anyway, a car is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay, and if that someone is emotionaly attatched to the car, they might just pay a little more than they really should. Oh well

Bryan

red73

Guest Anonymous

fae043db.jpg

Yes, of course I'm interested Jerry. Let me know a couple weeks in advance, and I'll get everything ready for you.

As for F1 Reverb? This is not the first time he has put his foot in his mouth. I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this guy bugs me. It's like his whole purpose in life is to tell us all that our cars are worthless, and we're all idiots. Do a search on his name, and you'll soon agree. He doesn't strike me as a "good" 02er. Rubs me the wrong way.

Al

Guest Anonymous

...what is wrong is not respecting others' rights to their opinions if they're willing to have an exchange about them. Even more wrong is talking behind someone's back (i.e. complaining on the other board about us here). That doesn't fit in with ethics and integrity to me.

What I got out of the whole dimple incident is that Jay came off as being arrogant. He may be an outstanding photographer, but that doesn't make him an expert on analyzing amateur photographs for the structural integrity of a car (in my opinion).

Jay has earned respect for his photography, I don't see how that translates into a break for this.

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

Guest Anonymous

OK, we all know that the '02 community varies from punk-ass hip hop saggy pant wearing kids to the old and grey, from ex-hippies, to people who still think the '70's are 'retro'....

That being said, the point is not in the stereotypes, but in the question about values for a piece of automotive history. The '02 was the first sports sedan, or at least credited for starting the sports sedan revolution, probably won't get many arguments on that one, but you never know!

Anybody who drives one appreciates the beauty in simple engineering that just works, what they're worth, that's another story entirely. Everything is worth what somebody will pay for it, period. So maybe somebody will pay $11k to drive an '02 more power to them, if they can afford it great, some people will buy $20k paintjobs for their '02's and restore them to better than factory new, more power to them too...

Just remember there's (2) kinds of '02's on the road, those which are restored to original glory, and the rest of us. There's been debates about what falls into that first category since the auto was created, and I have yet to meet anybody who can classify that accurately, personally I'm in group #2 as are most of us I suspect.

Oh, and more on the subject, just for fodder... I have been fortunate enough from reasonably hard work to be able to afford to drive lots of things, I chose a 2002 because it's fun, it makes people smile where ever you go, sure it's slower than my wife's S4, maybe even slower than my Pickup, but hey it's more fun to drive in it's own way than either. It's the experience of driving the '02 that unites the masses, pay what you will for the experience, but remember it's not about value, it's about the experience!

Drive the Legend Forever! (stolen from 2002AD)

--

BigDog