• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello everyone. I'm new to bmw2002faq so forgive me in advance for any dumb questions.  I bought a 76 2002 project car last October and it came with a full set of extra parts including a complete s14 engine, transmission , wiring harness, ECU / everything in the enclosed picture from a 1989 E30 M3. I have everything you see in the attached photos. My issue is I'm not sure if I want to go the S14 engine swap route ..... car came with a perfectly good m10 engine. I see lot's of misc s14 parts on ebay etc but never the complete package like I have. My question is what is this engine/ tranny worth?  Anyone interested in this  for their project? Right now it is just taking up space in my garage.

20160526_130138 (1).jpg

20160526_130151.jpg

Post it as for sale in the classified section, or offer it on eBay.  You might look at the completed and/or sold listings on eBay to get an idea of selling price.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Unless you state the level of usability, dimensions of critical surfaces, it is not worth any more than a set of salvage parts.  There had to be a reason it was totally stripped, so that should mean it needs lots of work and $$$.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

The problem is that it's in pieces, which kills the value.  You have no idea if it was in good shape beforehand, things may have been damaged after being tossed into boxes, and you don't know if anything is missing (chasing down/buying missing pieces can have a significant cost)

I've been there, done that, with a motor in pieces.  Unless it's dirt cheap, it's just not worth the risk or hassle.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

Use the block and crank for a 2.3 M10/S14 hybrid stump puller.  Sell the rest to buy custom 10:1 pistons with H-beams, and to build a nice 8 valve head with a 300 degree cam.   Then either go 45DCOE, or mega squirt with an e30 M10 long runner manifold for, pretty much all the torque. 

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

You can get a better idea of that in-pieces S14 engine by taking the block, pistons, head and crank to a machine shop and have 'em mike the cylinder bores for wear and taper, then the pistons for wear (you may need only new rings vs expensive new pistons), mike the crank for wear, and die-test the head for cracks, loose valve seats and other potential damage.  That may cost you a few bucks, but with that info in hand, a potential buyer will know exactly will need to be done to rebuild back to specs and if all is well, you'll ask for and get a lot more $$ than asking someone to buy a pig in a poke.

Wish I had had that crank when I rebuilt my M10...

cheers

mike.   

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I would definitely get all the motor bits checked out, as Mike said. Paperwork and the blessing of a known machine shop will help if you do sell.

S14's are robust engines that are durable and well engineered. Fun to rev and play with. The perfect engine that arrived too late to be built into the 2002. They are also now in the RARE state. If you do keep it, be prepared at some point or another to have to open the wallet wide to address some issue that there is no other option for repairing. 

If you are doing the car from a blank slate, there are LOTS of motor options. Some cheaper, some more powerful, some durable, etc...

I'd keep the running M10 in it for now, then explore a new motor. Research what exactly it is you want and how you will use the car. Also research any emissions/smog laws you have to meet.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

On 5/30/2016 at 2:48 PM, jimk said:

There had to be a reason it was totally stripped, so that should mean it needs lots of work and $$$.

A LOT of Money, REALLY A LOT of Money.............Many of these parts are stupid high now on e30 M3 replacements.

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook