• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Budget for a restored roundie Tii

RobKidder

Missed out on a couple of recent Tii's in my favorite two 02 colors (Inka and  Turkis) .  Both 1973's. Inka was all original and no doubt  needed some work.  Turkis looked like it was a pristine restoration by "Nathan" on this site.  As I recall it was a beautiful rust free vehicle to begin with.   I really loved the Turkis Tii but thought it was up for $35K so I did not pursue it !!  I think it sold for around $26K and Inka sold for $26K. I'm curious if the new owner (s) are on the FAQ site ?

Is $20K for a rust free Tii  roundie a pipe dream ?  Just curious what a realistic budget should be.

Thanks for any feedback

Rob 

Edited by RobKidder

I'd like to say it's a pipe dream, but mostly because I'm starting to think about selling mine (rust free, but definitely some fit and finish problems since I painted it myself and the oil pan leaks).  I wasn't really expecting more than 20-ish for it, but I think I better starting paying attention to current values!

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

In my opinion and from my experience a truly rust free Tii for $20K is a pipe dream. $23-$25+ are the prices I've seen asked, not sure of actual selling prices. 02Les & Conserv track that info.

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I agree with Andrew, $20K is probably a pipe dream if it is truly a low-rust car AND drive-able AND fairly presentable.  If you can live with rust -- I can't -- you can find prices well below $20K.  At this point, however, true low-rust '02's are quite rare.   Every seller, of course, represents his car as having "no rust."  As I say, a few are actually low-rust, but many simply have had 40 years of rust repaired and/or hidden -- relatively recently.  I suspect many (most?) of these rust-repaired cars will eventually reveal rust in approximately the same areas.

And if color is important to you -- it's very important to me -- AND the two colors you're focusing on are desirable colors, you might as well add at least 10% to the price.  If you must have a factory Inka or Turkis, you're competing with a lot of potential buyers for a very small number of cars!  Get out your wallet!

Good luck,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

16 hours ago, RobKidder said:

Missed out on a couple of recent Tii's in my favorite two 02 colors (Inka and  Turkis) .  Both 1973's. Inka was all original and no doubt  needed some work.  Turkis looked like it was a pristine restoration by "Nathan" on this site.  As I recall it was a beautiful rust free vehicle to begin with.   I really loved the Turkis Tii but thought it was up for $35K so I did not pursue it !!  I think it sold for around $26K and Inka sold for $26K. I'm curious if the new owner (s) are on the FAQ site ?

Is $20K for a rust free Tii  roundie a pipe dream ?  Just curious what a realistic budget should be.

Thanks for any feedback

Rob 

Hi Rob,

I think we talked on the E21 board. Don't you have the powder blue E21 ?  I still have my 83 320is and I was the buyer of Nathan's Turkis Tii. It is on its way from Washington State to Massachusetts. Is the Inka Tii you refer to from San Diego ? If so I was interested and had a PPI. The car was pretty solid but needed a great deal of detail work (especially rubber-all original) Parts of the car had been resprayed and not blended well. Rust in spare tire well and under lips of trunk and hood. Interior OK but tired. Owned by a little old lady.  Worth $25k ?  Tough to spend $25K and have to put a lot of $ into it (not immediately but over time) even if Inka is my favorite color. I still have my Henna E21 that is as close to Inka as any color. The Turkis Tii (just a beautiful color) was up for $37K at one time. I guess no one is prepared to spend that much. Nice restoration with attention to detail.

Good luck in your search.

Russ

1973 Tii Turkis

1983 320is Henna

Russ,

Nice pick up and glad you kept your Henna 320is. I no longer have my 320i.  It was "totaled" when I got hit in the rear by a texting teenager. It was not in the greatest of shape so it did not take long for the adjuster to deem it totaled. I saw an Inka roundie at a NH auction not to long ago but did not pursue it.  The Inka that I was looking at was advertised on Hemmings and yes, it was in San Diego. I spoke to the owner and he said it was all original and sounded very knowledgeable. I just got cold feet because it was original and not driven much in the last several years.

My search continues.

Rob.