• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber 32/36 Carburetor & Stock Air Filter Integration

Buckeye

The air box on a 320i uses two rubber mounts which are very similar to the 2002 pieces, so I bought four at the wrecking yard, while scrounging e21 bits.  They are an upgrade from my sway rubber solution, because they stay up tight to the housing, making installation much easier.

They have a large washer in each end, so they do not 'appear' to pull in as tight as the originals, but they hold it very securely and saved me $6 shipping on $6 in bushings and 6 days waiting for them to arrive. 

That is at Buckeye's Super Sale Price.  They are around $20 each, typically... apparently.

020.JPG

Unfortunately, the bent wire clips on the e21 box do NOT fit.  They are a slightly larger gauge, which would actually be fine, but they want to clamp something 1/4"+ taller.  I have eight of them now...

1 hour ago, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

They have a large washer in each end, so they do not 'appear' to pull in as tight as the originals, but they hold it very securely and saved me $6 shipping on $6 in bushings and 6 days waiting for them to arrive. 

That is at Buckeye's Super Sale Price.  They are around $20 each, typically... apparently.

Tom, 

my prices are good at least for next 30 days....

You can see OEM one's are $21.68

I used MTC brand for $1.90 on my car and they are holding up just fine. And if $1.90 price not good, then here is Buckeye Super Sale price at $1.05 while supplies lasts.

Did I mention free shipping over $49. It is great deal!

HM.PNG

HM1.PNG

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

5 hours ago, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

The air box on a 320i uses two rubber mounts which are very similar to the 2002 pieces, so I bought four at the wrecking yard, while scrounging e21 bits.  They are an upgrade from my sway rubber solution, because they stay up tight to the housing, making installation much easier.

020.JPG

Unfortunately, the bent wire clips on the e21 box do NOT fit.  They are a slightly larger gauge, which would actually be fine, but they want to clamp something 1/4"+ taller.  I have eight of them now...

"Bought," I know those came out in an airbag full of bits :P There's no fooling me! Side not, the sausage was quite good! Not overly spiced like a lot of them are.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Hey there, no apologies needed. I have a similar household.

I'm really excited about the idea of a custom / bolt on unit. I also think your price for parts and material is reasonable.

I'm thinking of two things:

1. I'd like to use my cars manual choke pull to control the carb. I need to make sure that's possible with this specific Weber. Perhaps you have a part number so I can make sure? I like the water choke but would prefer a cleaner bay without added hoses plus having full control of the carb at start up.

2. I'm thinking about the height of this unit and if it will make contact with my hood. I've read about this concern with JAM adapters. Do you have any experience with this issue and/or ensuring I won't run into this?

Thanks!

joe

Series 1, 1969 2002

Instagram: joseiden_bmwerke

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea. I got tired of looking at rectangular air cleaners years ago. 

• I recommend doing this with a 1-bbl air cleaner. It is smaller and more proportionate to the engine size.
  • K&N makes a filter for either air cleaner size.
  • I had the intake manifold machined down a bit so that I could have more headspace above the carb in the air cleaner.