• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enkei Apache IV center cap reproduction

Essem.w

Greetings all!

I'm currently going through the process of recreating the Enkei Apache V center cap in preparation for 3D printing replacements. Does anyone out there have an Enkei Apache V center cap that has the tangs intact? The one center cap I have does not currently have them in place and I'd like to know just how far the extend down into the center bore of the hub face. It seems that the 2002 front hub would prevent these tangs from going any deeper than 1.052" but the rears can extend nearly 1.562". Were they meant to extend to the point where they snap to the backside of the wheel face or where they merely a resistance fit? I've included some photos of the prelim model and the existing center cap. I'll be eliminating the "Enkei" Script from the print to prepare a flat surface for the application of 50mm sticky back roundels. EDIT: I've attached a photo of the wheels in questions. 

Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 11.23.44 AM.png

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_9392.jpg

Edited by Essem.w
They're really Apache V

Thanks for the heads up! I've found a set for around $22.50 each cap...that's a bit stiff considering I can just let the printer make a bunch of noise behind me for a few hours and the cost of a spool of ABS filament. I'm planning on modifying the depth of the cap as well to minimize the protrusion of the center cap and may also have my machinist shave down the center flange as well. While I can't go completely flush due the the spindle I can cut it down at least an 1" and still get needed clearance.  Hmm, lots to consider. 

3 hours ago, 02Les said:

12mm

Thanks Les! I've been looking at some aftermarket center caps and they all appear to be about 1/2" or so. The big thing I've noted is that the newer center caps have more tangs that the originals. As I modify these replacement caps I'll add additional tangs at the stock 12mm depth. 

On 6/7/2016 at 2:06 PM, PeteRose said:

I have to ask... Is this something you'd make a few sets of? I'd love something closer to the original cap.

It's possible. I'd like to make a set for myself and check that they actually work. in order to keep print time down, save material and keep the print from warping these will be printed hollow with an internal grid support structure. I'm worried the'll be too light or that the ABS will eventually be effected by the brake heat. The last thing I want to do is make a couple extra sets just to have them fly off the car after a couple hundred miles. I'll update this thread with progress and outcome and keep you in mind. 

• 2 years later...