• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shocks Best option

dluck123

Best shock option is the one that will give you your desired ride.

Is it a track car, daily driver, fun canyon carver? Or do you just want a low car?

Lots of people like the combo you're looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

swaying toward the bilstein sports with H&R Springs. 

heh heh- yeah, that and some nice stout SWAY bars will get you started.

Poster with 3 posts recommending coilovers that most of us don't run  = much internet win.

dluck, whaddya wanna do?  The 'best' suspension is the one that does what you want.

Yes, you MAY want coilovers if you need more front camber, or lots of adjustability or lots of spring choices.

But if you're just taking a pleasant weekend drive up some public roads, the Bils HD's and H&R's will make you happier

when you add the sways, and you'll have almost enough left over for a set of nice tires.  Oh, wait, no you won't.  

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I did the H&R, HD, ST set up.  no regrets.  nice combination, imho.  

My car is more for daily cruising and is 'plenty sporty' with a very smooooth ride.

The Sport Springs were tempting, because 'Sports Car', but some claim the rear shocks are too stiff.

I have read that the valving is the same between the two and only the length is different, but cannot confirm.

It has been discussed to death here.  

(In fact, I am a little embarrassed at how many times I have given this same answer).

Here is some more reading, which I pulled up for you, by putting "bilstein sport vs hd harsh stiff" in the search bar.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/search/?type=forums_topic&q=bilstein+sport+vs+hd+harsh+stiff

(There is plenty more where that came from :  )

Tom

For a weekend cruiser I'd go with the HDs. The sports are really stiff, and if the roads are not so great in your area driving might not be all that enjoyable.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

I agree, i switched from sports to heavy duty because a lot of the roads I like to blast around on are not in the greatest condition. With the sports I experienced a little too much side skipping which can be unnerving. HDs, big fat anti-sway bars and gummy Falcons make my car more enjoyable

I agree, i switched from sports to heavy duty because a lot of the roads I like to blast around on are not in the greatest condition. With the sports I experienced a little too much side skipping which can be unnerving. HDs, big fat anti-sway bars and gummy Falcons make my car more enjoyable

Please excuse the double post, why can't I just delete?

Edited by gregpark

Im running the H&R sport cup kit that had custom valved billy sports. I personally love them, and don't find them too harsh, but I'm used to firm suspension setups, and Europe typically has nicer roads

I also enjoyed the coilover comment, on a vehicle that (however gorgeous) still isn't complete, and is in bonkers territory HP wise. Sorry dood. Your 2002 is not the average street car.

9 minutes ago, dluck123 said:

Thanks guys that's great HD sounds the one for me.

Daniel

Yeah.

Those have worked pretty well for a lot of people for the past 50 years or so.

Not that other alternatives might be worth a look...

But...

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.