• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shocks Best option

dluck123

Im running Ireland Stage II springs and Bilstein Sports.  I can say it handles VERY well in the canyons. Nice and low...yes its stiff but by no means harsh...now my Carrera 996 on Coilovers...THAT was harsh.  I'm going to do front coilovers for the adjustability and I'm going Ireland for WAY less than $1500.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I have read that the valving is the same between the two and only the length is different, but cannot confirm.

Negatory on that.  They are the same length, and the valving is different.

Way the h*ll different.  I liked the HD's with the ST springs.  Street car with a much more 'sporty' ride.

But no damaged fillings, as there were when I went to sports and appropriate springs.

The sports are VERY dampy dampers.

The confusion, I think,  comes from the E30 world, where, perversely, the E30s seem to be same rate, different length.

Or maybe it's E36.  It's been a long time.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 3 years later...
20 hours ago, mlytle said:

yes, but don't get HD's.  get Koni Sports instead.

I have Bilstein HDs, HR Springs and ST Sways, along with all new rubber bushings (except for the ploy sway bars bushings) and new rear carrier bushings (with poly inserts).

I absolutely LOVE the way the car handles, and have gotten two very much appreciated and informed compliments from two people who have driven my car. One said it handled like a Miata, the other Porsche guy had his mouth agape. That's pretty high praise.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

the billy/HR/ST setup has been the go-to option for a long time.  it does work nicely.

however, given the lack of availability of HD's recently and that the more i use Koni's in 02's and other BMW's, the more i like them better.

i have had/driven the old billy/hr/st setup in several 02's. no question that it works.  the Koni's just work....better.

is it worth changing from good billys to koni? no.  but if you are dampers are shot and you need a new option...Koni.

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 1

2xM3

3 hours ago, mlytle said:

the billy/HR/ST setup has been the go-to option for a long time.  it does work nicely.

however, given the lack of availability of HD's recently and that the more i use Koni's in 02's and other BMW's, the more i like them better.

i have had/driven the old billy/hr/st setup in several 02's. no question that it works.  the Koni's just work....better.

is it worth changing from good billys to koni? no.  but if you are dampers are shot and you need a new option...Koni.

Back in the day the Konis were the go to option as well. I may have to consider them for the 911.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS