• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newby checking in

Hey all,

Proud new owner of a 75 2002.

This seems to be the forum of choice.  I have tons of questions which have likely been asked a million times before.  

But lets start with the basics.  I want to start a build thread.  Is there a special forum for those or should I just put it here in General Discussion?

Are there lists of vendors which are preferred?  My car is going to need a little work.

I have found Ireland Engineering, and already knew about Restoration Design from my work restoring old Porsches.  Is there a preferred vender for basic parts?  Are there vendors that should be avoided?

Is there an active marketplace here between users?  In the past I've had good luck buying panels and parts from other forum users and wanted to see if that was the culture here too.

Sorry if I'm asking basic questions, I'm still learning the feel around here.

Thanks!

Zach

Hey Zach, welcome!

I like using blunttech.com for most of my basic parts. The classified section on this forum is very active and is a great source for almost everything you may need. If you don't see what you want post a WTB ad. Someone will have it.

Also, I've used wallothnesch.com for parts. They're in Germany, but you wouldn't believe how fast DHL delivers parts.

Post pics of your 75!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

tip: be patient and only click "submit reply" once, then go back to the forum and make sure it is there. 

It will be.

If it is not, click in the "reply to this topic" window again and your post will likely be saved there; so you can do over.

Unfortunately we cannot delete our own duplicate posts, but at one point, they were automatically repeated within one post and it was less troublesome.  You can edit them to steer people over to just one of them and avoid the potential confusion of 'duplicate discussions'.

Not nagging, just saying it takes a couple/few seconds for the action to happen after clicking :submit:

1 hour ago, jmr_1602 said:

Hey Zach, welcome!

I like using blunttech.com for most of my basic parts. The classified section on this forum is very active and is a great source for almost everything you may need. If you don't see what you want post a WTB ad. Someone will have it.

Also, I've used wallothnesch.com for parts. They're in Germany, but you wouldn't believe how fast DHL delivers parts.

Post pics of your 75!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Yeah, what he said!

Welcome on board, Zach!  Use the Blog section for your build thread.  It will be in good company.  Use the search feature for almost any topic or the ol' grumpy guys will scold you -- oh, wait, I'm one of the ol' grumpy guys!  Consider yourself scolded in advance for not using the search function in the future!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

7 minutes ago, Robert Jason Quintero said:

Another + for wallothnesch

Slight diversion:  has anyone from Canada ordered from WN? 

I got my 123Tune out of Germany via DHL, and was quicker than the average shipment from across the border.....

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegInitial pics. It's rougher then I would have liked, but the important parts are solid and the engine runs really strong. Will need a new passenger front floor, and the area around the gas tank needs patching or replacing.  I've built a 914, rust does not scare me. 

Kinda pissed though. On initial tear down I only found a quarter. Usually I find enough change in an old car to equal a full dollar.  

First task is rebuilding the pedal cluster. 

Brakes are pulled for refresh, along with he hardlines. Also pulled the fuel line that went through the cockpit. In the 914 world those were known for cracking with ethanol and causing fires. Plan is to make a new one from stainless steel brake line. 

Meat current I want to keep the car mostly stock, but do some appearance upgrades. Back date bumpers. That kind of thing. 

I I want a fun cruiser I can drive with my kids that can also be AXed in with other stock vehicles. 

Zach

image.jpeg

image.jpeg