• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

on the topic of car prices: a 1600 for sale in SoCal

Wow, that looks like a really nice car.

After a really long day and a few beers, I cannot find any grievous faults by looking at the pictures. I really dig the color and the overall presentation. I would be curious to see what Steve (Conserv) and some of the other really knowledgable experts have to say about the car. But, as with any other car, a thorough PPI by a marque expert is a must! I am sure that if I got it into my shop I could find a few quibbles, but it looks pretty good from here.

OK, it has the same universal aftermarket battery hold-down setup that my own bastardized tii has. So it won't be on the lawn at Pebble Beach . . . .

That said, I think that $30K for any 1600 is pretty crazy, but if that is indeed the going rate for a really nice 1600, might as well plunk your $30K down on this one if it is as nice as it appears to be!

Chris

Edited by cda951

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff

OK, the "Ironman" radial tires are also a bit suspect :).

Carry on . . . . 

Chris

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff

Wow!  Very nice.  I guess that's the difference between a California car and a NY car!  Will be interested to see what it sells for.  Very nice original representation of a 1600.  You don't see a 1600 like that very often....if ever.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

I was thrilled to see the car reach $30K and meet its reserve!  I hope it goes higher.

It's a beautiful car, in a great color, with factory sunroof.  The write up was wonderfully complete, pointing to the car's history and changes/repairs that have been made.  Seeing that the factory combination of Florida exterior with Tobacco interior is nothing short of gorgeous, however, I can't fathom why such a careful owner would swap in a black interior, which falls flat with the Florida exterior.  Maybe the difficulty in putting together a correct Tobacco interior in this condition drove him to this change!  Yeah, I'm certain that's what drove this decision!  ?

I believe by '69, the separate hub caps of the earliest cars -- and he's got a single early trim ring in the trunk -- may have given way to the full wheel covers.  So this may be a slightly retro look.  Regardless, the look is great.  I'd stick 165HR-13 Michelin XAS's on it!  The steering wheel is, I believe, an NK piece.

Two points:  First, not that I've actually seen the really early cars, i.e., '66 and '67 1600-2's and '68 2002's, bring big money, IN THEORY I expect those rare early models to have greater long-term value than the "mid-era" 1600-2's and 2002's -- yes, I'm making up this "mid-era" classification to capture cars that follow the earliest examples.  So I believe $30K is an entirely fair price for one of these "mid-era" 1600-2's in this condition.  Given recent sales of some tii's, why shouldn't a beautiful example like this reach $30K, or more?

Second, the seller notes that the car had extensive rust and body repairs.  I believe most surviving '02's have had rust repairs of some sort.  The difference here is three-fold: (1.) the seller knows about the rust; (2.) the seller discloses the rust repair; and (3.) the quality of the paint work suggests to me that it was probably well-repaired.  How do we evaluate rust-repaired cars?  Well, certainly, as Chris says, a very good PPI is in order.  But what we don't know -- yet -- is are these cars as good as new? Hmm?  Better than new, since the cars -- like virtually all cars of the era -- were rust prone?  And given that the cars today are rarely driven on salt-covered roads, or even in rain, are these even necessary questions to ask?  I have no answers.  But I do believe that less rust is better, as it eliminates this uncertainty!

Back to the Florida 1600-2, if it were mine, I would love it as is but I would immediately begin the slow methodical process of assembling a correct Tobacco interior!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

21 minutes ago, eurotrash said:

He talks about the minor changes he has made to the car and why, on his FB post about the sale. 

But, Jason, I'd have to join FaceBook to read all that good stuff.  No way!  It's better to simply guess and be wrong!

Regards,

Steve

Hi Guys! This is my 1600-2 and I appreciate the positive comments! It's been a great project for me and by far my favorite build! It was a challenge keeping this one original and the most obvious is the interior change to black instead of tobacco. I also changed the steering wheel to the NK wheel wrapped in leather. Call them my need to be different ;) but it also came down to availability and keeping it "original", by that I mean the factory black interior is in perfect condition and not a kit or remanufactured.

This 1600-2 not over restored, I struggled with wanting to do more but stuck with only what it needed and in the end it is a truly honest car. The body and paint was done by Bart at The Resto Shop (a fellow FAQer) and his quality of craftsmanship is amazing! He helped me really bring this to new or even better than new condition. I couldn't be happier with how well it turned out and I'm glad it present itself so well. 

Edited by ibjettin

1 hour ago, OriginalOwner said:

ib,

when I first saw this car I couldn't help but think,  "hmmmm, I wonder if Tom once owned it ??"  Way back in 1972 a SoCal college classmate bought a used 1600, I think it was brown.  He sold it a few years later.

Cheers,

Carl

I don't think this is the one even though it did come from California but ended up in Colorado. It was never brown, always Florida 

3 hours ago, ibjettin said:

Hi Guys! This is my 1600-2 and I appreciate the positive comments! It's been a great project for me and by far my favorite build! It was a challenge keeping this one original and the most obvious is the interior change to black instead of tobacco. I also changed the steering wheel to the NK wheel wrapped in leather. Call them my need to be different ;) but it also came down to availability and keeping it "original", by that I mean the factory black interior is in perfect condition and not a kit or remanufactured.

This 1600-2 not over restored, I struggled with wanting to do more but stuck with only what it needed and in the end it is a truly honest car. The body and paint was done by Bart at The Resto Shop (a fellow FAQer) and his quality of craftsmanship is amazing! He helped me really bring this to new or even better than new condition. I couldn't be happier with how well it turned out and I'm glad it present itself so well. 

Why is it so hard to find cars restored and presented in this terrific manner?  Don't tell me it's economics because, just as others may spend less "restoring" a car, others also spend more "restoring" a car and arrive at something that is so much "less" than this beauty.

Job well done!!!

Best regards,

Steve

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

Why is it so hard to find cars restored and presented in this terrific manner?  Don't tell me it's economics because, just as others may spend less "restoring" a car, others also spend more "restoring" a car and arrive at something that is so much "less" than this beauty.

Job well done!!!

Best regards,

Steve

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

Wow- just wow.  Love it.  You have done a fantastic job.

Thanks guys! :) 

I met the seller at the Brisbane show recently. Turns out he was the gentleman that provided extraordinary help to an acquaintance in Chicago interested in a California 02. Quite a story and says a lot about the character of the seller. The car is also outstanding. I asked a friend whose opinion I respect who knows 02s literally inside and out, and he told me this Florida car was the best at the Brisbane meet.

Good luck with the sale, ibjettin, and it was a pleasure talking with you.