• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

on the topic of car prices: a 1600 for sale in SoCal

its weird to think somebody stored that thing for all these years. anybody notice the odo was 000148 miles if that really is true thats like showroom condition. if i bought it i would cut it up and put fender flares and m20 conversion.

51 minutes ago, hynrgee said:

I met the seller at the Brisbane show recently. Turns out he was the gentleman that provided extraordinary help to an acquaintance in Chicago interested in a California 02. Quite a story and says a lot about the character of the seller. The car is also outstanding. I asked a friend whose opinion I respect who knows 02s literally inside and out, and he told me this Florida car was the best at the Brisbane meet.

Good luck with the sale, ibjettin, and it was a pleasure talking with you.

It was great meeting you as well and a pleasure talking with you throughout the day. I appreciate your kind words about my 1600-2 :) thank you and hope to get together again soon!

23 minutes ago, rover1 said:

its weird to think somebody stored that thing for all these years. anybody notice the odo was 000148 miles if that really is true thats like showroom condition. if i bought it i would cut it up and put fender flares and m20 conversion.

The miles are not accurate since the odometer has been restored, but theres been about 160 miles put on it since the paint and assembly. 

9 hours ago, ibjettin said:

..This 1600-2 not over restored, I struggled with wanting to do more but stuck with only what it needed and in the end it is a truly honest car. The body and paint was done by Bart at The Resto Shop (a fellow FAQer) and his quality of craftsmanship is amazing! He helped me really bring this to new or even better than new condition. I couldn't be happier with how well it turned out and I'm glad it present itself so well... 

Beautiful car. Where is the Resto Shop?? Thanks..

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

11 hours ago, ibjettin said:

The miles are not accurate since the odometer has been restored, but theres been about 160 miles put on it since the paint and assembly. 

Was the speedo replaced at some point?  (I thought 1600 speedo's had the shift points marked with single, double, and triple red hash marks, but I could be wrong about that.)

Looks like a beautiful car with an honest seller.  A bit out of my budget, though ...

hnichols

What a BEAUTY...!!  :P
I love the unadorned simplicity of these pre 04/71 BMW 02's.  They are what the BMW engineers and designers initially wanted to achieve with the 02, and in my opinion they're all the better for it.  After that, bean-counters and marketing people got way too much influence. 
As if being a series 1 car wasn't enough, this one is made all the more tasty by that gorgeous Florida green paint (one of the best early 02 colours together with Caribe and Derby imho...), and not least of course that rare factory steel sliding sunroof.  Very yummy...  ;)

@Conserv, hehehe... I love your made up "mid-era classification"!  But I guess it's a good way of separating the '66 & '67 cars from the rest of the series 1 cars.  It does make sense to do this, as there are really more differences between a '66 1600-2 and a 69 02, than there is between the general pre 04/71 car and post 04/71 car.  Steve, you also mention the early small dish hub caps on this car.  Now I'm no expert on US specific differences, but I can at least tell you that in Europe this was the standard issue for all 1600-21602 and 1802 right up to 09/73, when the steel wheels were swapped to the later style slotted type.  The early ring trim in the boot is really cool though!  Very rare though as they were only ever offered as an optional extra.  A complete set of 4 would have been amazing!

Those few cracks in the dash are - while the norm nowadays - of course a real shame.  Arguably it's a real shame too that the US cars received the later dash so early during their production life.  In Europe we kept the elegant early dash with the chrome stripe along the lower edge right up to the facelift in 04/71.  They really do suit these early cars much better.  But hey, this is after all a US delivery 02, so the dash is correct and should of course stay.  It just needs to be professionally restored to get rid of those unfortunate cracks.
While at it, if I were the new owner, I would definitely also try sourcing a complete Tobacco interior.  It goes so well with the Florida paint, and helps date the 02 as a product of the 60's, rather than the much more common black interior which says 70's to me.  But Ib has of course justified the swap to a black interior here, and you can't really argue with the condition of the current seats.  Hmmm... and personally I'm not a huge fan of the NK steering wheel in a 02 either, but this is of course easily changed if one fancies something different.
The final touch would be - as Steve already mentioned too - a set of Michelin XAS 165's.  Pretty damned expensive of course, but they just look sooooo right!  :)

But please don't mistake my above opinions as if I'm criticising this beautiful 1600-2.  I thoroughly love the looks and the charm, and I'm happy to see the early 1600-2's finally being acknowledged in the 02 society.  It's about time too - but I'm biased of course...  ^_^
Best of luck with the sale - I hope the new custodian understands what he's become the owner of and cherishes this stunningly original example of an early 02!

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

$32,600.  Great result!  And it appears there were 6 bidders at or above $25K, which bodes well for similar cars.

Congrats to purchaser and seller!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

As I said before, I think this is one of the nicest 1600's I've ever seen.  It reminds me of the 1600 on the floor of the BMW Museum in Munich, it is that well done.  Hopefully in my old age I will be able to do a complete restoration on my 1600 and make it as nice as this one.  My problem is nothing is very original on my car as it has spent its entire life in upstate NY and was a daily driver for the first 17 years of its life.  Lots to do on it but I am hoping that someday it will look as nice as yours!  Congrats on a job VERY well done & good luck with the sale! 

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

This is the 1600 at the museum I was referring to.  I remember just standing there & looking at it for a long, long time and my family wanting to get moving, after we did, I just kept circling back to it!  That is what your 1600 reminds me of!

1600.jpg

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

22 hours ago, Conserv said:

But, Jason, I'd have to join FaceBook to read all that good stuff.  No way!  It's better to simply guess and be wrong!

Regards,

Steve

Ha, ha, ha...

Another "holdout" like me!

The less time on the computer and the more time actually enjoying life, rather than posting about it, the better!

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

WAUW!!  US $ 32,600

That's a well sold 1600-2.  Surely this is the highest price obtained by any 1600-2 thus far...??

I suppose considering the recent prices on a few choice SRL tii's, you could argue that this 1600-2 is actually really well bought at that price too.  I mean, is a modified SRL 2002tii really worth more than twice this 1600-2's value.  The market has of course spoken, so I suppose it is.  But to my (biased) eyes, I would argue otherwise...
But just remember that not even a year ago, Jeff sold his perfectly preserved 1600-2 in the US, and got a full 5k less than what this 1600-2 sold for.  Add to that the fact that Jeff's example was even a early '67 example, so surely more "collectable".  It was also Florida green, but Jeff's even retained it's original Tobacco interior!  For those of you that didn't follow that auction:  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-BMW-2002-/261983688676?ru=http%3A+www.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D261983688676%26_rdc%3D1&nma=true&si=XQ5DrpKqH6IfHtEs3p7dwcQdoyo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Now I'm not in any way trying to down the '69 car that just sold at $ 32k.  It's a 02 that I too would be extremely proud to have in my own garage.  But even so, I have to be honest and say that Jeff's '67 was even better!  It certainly shows very clearly just how fast the 02 market is moving...

Edited by 02Anders

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

10 hours ago, jscaptura1 said:

This is the 1600 at the museum I was referring to.  I remember just standing there & looking at it for a long, long time and my family wanting to get moving, after we did, I just kept circling back to it!  That is what your 1600 reminds me of!

1600.jpg

Hank you! I used this image often when I was building mine ?