• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

on the topic of car prices: a 1600 for sale in SoCal

This is a good representation of a late US spec 69 1600.

Nice Work / Well Done !

It's been described as an "Early Car" by some here, but as far as 1600s are concerned it is  a middle to late era car. The car has the us reflectors and dual circuit brakes which indicates it is later 69.

Constructive Criticism:

The earlier posts have already identified the incorrect, although very slight and easily correctable  alterations including the NK steering wheel, incorrect interior color and odd tires. For 30K, I'd want the original Michelins which cost about $300 / each. I have an almost perfect spare  tobacco / black interior which I'm refusing to use on my 66-67 Bristol Grey 1600 which has a worn black door panels. Bristol cars came with black interiors.  I would have traded you. That interior really compliments a Florida or Manilla car.

$30K ? What can I say. Nothing surprises me with the current speculative trend. Porsche and Alfa prices have skyrocketed. $30K is a bargain in comparison.

But, for that price I would expect a nearly perfect example of an early 1600 with all the Euro Spec interior and trim. Although, a well restored NK sedan or 2000CS is much more worthy of 30K in my opinion.

Pretty soon the 02s will be out of most people's price range, and this board will be populated by a different crowd. And that is too bad.

Slavs

On 6/9/2016 at 7:01 AM, Conserv said:

Second, the seller notes that the car had extensive rust and body repairs.  I believe most surviving '02's have had rust repairs of some sort.  The difference here is three-fold: (1.) the seller knows about the rust; (2.) the seller discloses the rust repair; and (3.) the quality of the paint work suggests to me that it was probably well-repaired.  How do we evaluate rust-repaired cars?  Well, certainly, as Chris says, a very good PPI is in order.  But what we don't know -- yet -- is are these cars as good as new? Hmm?  Better than new, since the cars -- like virtually all cars of the era -- were rust prone?  And given that the cars today are rarely driven on salt-covered roads, or even in rain, are these even necessary questions to ask?  I have no answers.  But I do believe that less rust is better, as it eliminates this uncertainty!

Regards,

Steve

I completely agree with Steve's observation about rust on 02s, or any other old car for that matter. If a seller claims that extensive rust repair has been done (and is trying to get top dollar), photo documentation of the repair process really helps the cause. While the rest of the presentation of this particular car seems to be impeccable, I would want to see as much if I were a potential buyer. Shoddy rust repair can easily be seen by a trained eye soon after the fact, but so-so rust repair might take a while to visibly manifest itself after undercoating is applied . . . . .

Chris

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff

@ibjettin

Well if Jeffs beautiful old '67 couldn't be on its usual spot, then your '69 most certainly deserved that specific place...  ;)

@Slavs

Early or late...??  It's really a matter of how we are defining this car.  Are we looking at it as on 02?  In which case it is most definitely early.  But it is of course true that if we are looking at it purely as a 1600-2, then it is of course a relatively late car as production ceased in 03/71.  Whatever - we're nitpicking here.  Fact of the matter is, it's a lovely little car and a great representative of what an early 02 should be...

Of much greater importance now is, that you have really caught my attention by mentioning your 66-67 Bristol Grey 1600.  I'm sure that if I spent more time here on FAQ, I would know exactly which 1600 you own, so pardon my ignorance, but please enlighten me - which 1600 do you own?  Are we talking NK 1600 or 1600-2?  Over on the British 02forum, I run a '66 Registry.  I stick to only the VIN 150XXXX cars.  I do realise that the '67 cars really have much more in common with the '66 cars than they do with the '68 cars, so in the ideal world I would be running a Registry for all '66 and '67 BMW 1600-2's.  But lack of time means that I have decided to stick to VIN 150XXXX cars only.  That of course doesn't keep me from being deeply interested in all 1600-2's from those first two years of production.  So please, if your Bristol 1600 is indeed a 1600-2, would you tell me more...??  :)

Btw. we thoroughly agree about the skyrocketing values of 02's as of late!  Soon they will be worth so much that I can't possibly continue to justify to my family that we need three of them in our garage.  These high values will not only keep real car enthusiasts from entering our 02-playground, but they might even end up forcing enthusiasts like myself, that have now been in this game for 24 years, to leave our 02-playground.  Not cool...  :unsure:

Edited by 02Anders

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.