• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oem right side mirror

billjecks

I have new door in primer now and would like to put pilot holes for the mirror mount. The manual give measurements for the drivers but

shows nothing for the passenger. I don't think it is the same location. Can anyone shed some light on this?

cheers,

Bill

73tii

North Vancouver BC

I wondered the same thing when I installed my passenger mirror. I had a helper position the mirror at the position on the door

where I thought it should be, keeping mind of what/where I could see in the mirror. It's positioned pretty darn close relative to

where the driver's side mirror is. It probably isn't mounted to exact specs, but looks and works perfect.

75 2002 (atlantik) 1990 - 1993

73 2002 tii (malaga) 1994 - 2017

74 2002 tii (verona) 2023 - present

I'm not certain there is a definitive answer.  A single driver's-side exterior mirror was standard thoughout the '02 production run while a passenger's-side mirror was strictly a dealer accessory.  And many passenger's-side mirrors were installed years later, after dual mirrors became the norm.  This leaves a lot of room for...personal judgement.  My dealer installed the passenger's-side mirror on my '76 at exactly the same position, respectively, as the driver's-side mirror.  They did this before the car's initial delivery.  Photos below were taken April '77.  But in '78, this same dealer also cut out my car's rear valence, attempting to fit a pre-'75 exhaust to my '76 car.  So maybe my experience isn't the best example!

The flag mirrors work fine at this same respective position.  If, based on the '73 you list, you're using the correct trap mirrors, I can't comment definitively, as my '73 still has solely a driver's-side mirror.  But I'd guess there's sufficient movement of the trap mirror heads to function if placed in the same respective position as the driver's-side.

Good luck,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I believe "grace goes with symmetry" and, therefore, both mirrors should be positioned same distance from door leading edge.

My RHD Touring, bought in 1986, came with both "trap" mirrors that way and I have never had a problem with vision no matter which side of the road I'm driving on!

Trg 1.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

It is true that the vast majority of 02's were delivered with only a drivers side door mirror.  But seeing as the mirror on RHD 02's was originally positioned exactly the same way on the door, as the mirror was on LHD 02's, I would argue that this is how BMW drilled the holes at the factory.
So if you're concerned about getting your car as factory correct as possible, but insist on having two door mirrors, then I would definitely suggest that you fit them symmetrically on left and right.

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.