• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 tii: Gone Retro!

Conserv

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

Bingo, JAS!  Excellent point!  And are the doors reinforced like a square taillight?  Probably not.  Jim made the point that the riveted-on VIN tag is a repro.  The Polaris paint sticker is just wrong: besides not being a Polaris car, Polaris PVC-frei was the Polaris used from some time in 1973 through the end of '02 production.  Neu Polaris came and went in the '60's.  

Please don't get me wrong, I don't believe anything was actually done "in order to create a more authentic round taillight."  I believe that whatever was done was done out of expediency!

But why would they use the square taillight's VIN, rather than the round taillight's?  Missing title?  Salvage title?

Gorgeous engine compartment, by the way!  Yours, not the Frankenbimmer's!

Regards,

Steve

Yeah, that's got me puzzled as well. One could conceive of a time when there were two tii's - a 72 or 73 with say, salvage title and a blown engine, and a 74 with a rusted body but valid registration and good engine. Swap the engines, change the easy VIN spots (steering column cover, VIN plate) to match the 74 engine VIN. Perhaps even cut out and weld in the new VIN stamp on the top of the right support (I note the pictures don't show this spot) and finally, shave off the driver's door sticker. Walk back into the vehicle registration office, maybe mention the color change...voila!... you have a car that went up in value.

Then again, maybe not...:-) 

Thanks for the complement. One of my more successful winter projects....a before pic.

John 

DSC_1456.JPG

1974 Verona 2002 tii

1974 Polaris 2002 tii (deceased)

• 3 weeks later...

It's back, and you can Buy-It-Now for $36,900!  Remember, you'll be getting both a square taillight tii and a round taillight tii for one convenient price!  And, hey, they've even thrown in a little 1600 with those front grilles devoid of blacked-out slats!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

From motoexotica:

This car was built for a persons exact taste and specs. The speedometer is an original BMW part, just from an earlier year, I am selling the car mileage exempt due to not knowing the exact miles on the car. The title on the car is clean and clear and ready to go. It was built for the previous owner to his taste and liking. We are asking $28,500 or best offer for the car. 

Thanks

Andrew Stafford
636-600-4600

1972 Tii

1997 Land Rover Defender LE #127