• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 tii - rusty but has a title - $1500 in PNW

Neildo11

It's a member.  PM him and go see the car!

It's a low price but I'd guess the seller bought it even lower, as a parts car.  It does appear to be a very complete and orginal '72 tii in a rare color, Tundra.  If the underside rust isn't terrible, I'd bet he'll get several offers over his asking price.  If the underside rust is terrible, maybe it remains a parts car.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

OK -

Drove down and looked it over.  A bit beyond the "Patina" stage, but certainly as described.  I went ahead and purchased it and will be trailering up island later this week.  I hopelessly hooked on "Roundies" and am thoroughly enjoying my '73 slick roof.  Looks like the battery might have had an incident of some kind, based on the rust in that area of the engine compartment.  Preliminary inspection of the bottom side actually looked pretty good, with the major rust on the RH side of the car.  RF fender rusted from build up crud and the sunroof drain right above it (you all know that tune).  It has body filler on the LR corner, and the front end obviously needs many hours work on the front grille cowl.  But the doors shut nicely, as do the trunk and hood, and the engine is free (we put it in gear and rocked it gently).  Interior is all there but for the sunroof headliner section (but it smells pretty ripe and I'll need to get it dried out). I think it's worth getting home and taking a closer look.  It may be a good candidate for tear down and full restoration to "driver-plus" condition.  It wouldn't be economically viable to have a shop restore it - but certainly it is doable for a hobbyist with time on his hands. And as Steve said: Tundra isn't an everyday color...

Bill

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Subject to what I hear back from BMW achieves: 2761091 is a 1972 US model Tii...

Tundra/Tobacco (or whatever they called the med brown interior that year).  My first 2002, an Agave '73, popped into mind when I saw the pics of this old Tii.  Thought it was the same color at first - though there are places where one can still see that it's metallic rather than a solid color.  I believe the seller represented the car very accurately - there's plenty of work ahead.  Still an impressive car though, despite being on the sidelines for almost two decades.  Hope it doesn't end up as parts car but rather gets a chance to zoom around a few more turns...

2 hours ago, XAVMECH said:

Subject to what I hear back from BMW achieves: 2761091 is a 1972 US model Tii...

Tundra/Tobacco (or whatever they called the med brown interior that year).  My first 2002, an Agave '73, popped into mind when I saw the pics of this old Tii.  Thought it was the same color at first - though there are places where one can still see that it's metallic rather than a solid color.  I believe the seller represented the car very accurately - there's plenty of work ahead.  Still an impressive car though, despite being on the sidelines for almost two decades.  Hope it doesn't end up as parts car but rather gets a chance to zoom around a few more turns...

A lot of us would certainly like to see this car saved!  Yes, VIN 2761091 is probably a February 1972 car (February 23 is my best guess).  The Tundra with Tobacco or Saddle interior is a nice combination!  I'm hoping those are the car's original 5x13 steelies in the trunk!

Congrats and good luck.

Steve

Edited by Conserv

On June 20, 2016 at 4:06 PM, XAVMECH said:

Wanting to see what this car might have looked like when it was delivered to Max Hoffman's in MAR, 1972, I found this picture of a Tundra Tii on the Internet - I must say that I really like this flavor!

Bill

image.jpeg

Just to be clear, Bill, the "delivery date" provided by BMW Archives is the date on which legal title was delivered from BMW AG to Hoffman Motors, a New York-domiciled corporation.  Legal title was transferred prior to shipping; Hoffman assumed both risk and reward after that date.  It says nothing about physical delivery of the car, the U.S. Port of Entry (POE), or the retail dealer.  You're on your own to sleuth out any clues as to the car's U.S. POE or early life, e.g,, service stickers in door jambs, metal service tags on the radiator, receipts under the rear seat or behind the glove compartment, manuals, etc.

The photo is a great find...and inspiration!

Again, congrats!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv