• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD -- 1973 2002tii

a54atii

’73 BMW 2002tii

VIN 2762709

Malaga w/ black interior

123k miles

Asking price: $23,500  $21,500 including spares package

$19,500 $18,500 for the tii and (new and used) spare parts

$21,000 obo for the tii plus ST springs, IE sway bars, E21 5-speed, and 3.91 LSD

Good:

Matching numbers engine

Solid body, minimal rust

Recaro seats

Rebuilt KF pump

Pertronix

02Again shorty header

Bad:

Minor rust in passenger side rocker

Kink in driver side frame rail

Background:

I’m the 3rd owner and have had the car for about 16 years and 23,000 miles.  This 2002tii was originally Sahara and was painted by the original owner in a non-BMW color and then painted Malaga by the previous owner.  The original front seats were worn, so I converted the interior to black and added Recaro front seats.  I used the car extensively during the summer months the first 2-3 years that I owned it and worked through a variety of mechanical issues with the goal of making it reliable.  I use Redline in the tranny and diff, Castrol 10/40 or 20/50 in engine.  Recently, I've taken the car on a couple of outings (~100+ miles each) and the only issue was running warm (2/3rds on temp guage) on the highway.  I have a new 3-row radiator by Curt Ingraham that will be fitted or included with the sale.  Update (7/10/16): I installed the 3-core radiator along with a new thermostat and belt.  The temperature was rock solid over a 30 mile drive.  Problem solved.

The kink in the driver side frame rail happened with the original owner.  Apparently, he hit something which damaged the front subframe and kinked the frame rail.  There was no damage to the nose.  I replaced the front subframe thinking that this would solve the problem.  While I was doing this, I found the damage to the frame rail.  The best way to fix this would be to replace the frame rail.  A new frame rail is included.

Car is located in Yellow Springs, Ohio (near Dayton).  Inspections are welcomed and encouraged.

IMGP2246.JPG

Rear

Interior

73tii engine

Additional photos are available here --  https://goo.gl/photos/mGMaGULukvLvAit48

More photos to come...

Edited by a54atii

Listen. Think. Share. Act. Repeat.

Thanks for the compliments!

On 6/19/2016 at 10:56 PM, Gordon said:

Maybe the license plate is asking, please repaint me in my original color...  Nice tii, GLWS.

Maybe so...   I couldn't resist getting the Sahara plate when it became available.  An inside joke but more straightforward than the previous plate.

a54atii

I traded a nice E28 for the tii.

That's really nice. GLWS

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I am glad to see the ad turning up on the FAQ. Earlier, I had put a brief ad on the RGB page on Facebook. GLWS. I am still thinking dibs on a certain BMW of yours... ^_^

I have driven this tii. Plenty of power and very nice handling. Karl always kept it garaged, too.

Edited by Jim_75Sahara

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

4 hours ago, lilmo said:

Looks sharp!  23K in 16 years?  That girl needs more attention!

Thanks.  Yes, it does need more attention.  I would like to find a new owner that will more fully enjoy the car.  During my ownership, I spent the first ~5 years driving and improving the car.  The next ~5 years I drove it less.  It's taken the past 5 years to realize that I should let it go.

5 hours ago, Jim_75Sahara said:

I am glad to see the ad turning up on the FAQ. Earlier, I had put a brief ad on the RGB page on Facebook. GLWS. I am still thinking dibs on a certain BMW of yours... ^_^

I have driven this tii. Plenty of power and very nice handling. Karl always kept it garaged, too.

Yes, Jim, you are first in line when I'm ready to sell the E28!

15 hours ago, a54atii said:

a54atii

I traded a nice E28 for the tii.

I traded my 85 Euro spec 525e for a clean CA tii shell.  The E28 wasn't special, it had an eta motor and the paint was shot.  My previous tii was a Frankenstein so I moved all my parts from my Frankenstein tii into the new shell. I even had the tii shell repainted it's original color, Sahara.

Img_2040.jpg

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

95 photos added to the Google album --  https://goo.gl/photos/mGMaGULukvLvAit48

After spending considerable time around and under the car this weekend, I found some areas that weren't as good as expected.  In particular, there is the beginning of some rust in the bottom seam of the doors that is more noticeable on the passenger side.  It was difficult to get pictures of this and some other areas, but take a look at the album and let me know if you need more pics or info.

Price adjustment to reflect the condition -- now asking $21,500.

I've been going through my 02 parts stash and have decided to include a spare parts package at the $21.5k asking price.  Here are a few pictures to give you an idea.  It includes a spare interior (but no carpet) with Recaro seats, ST springs, IE sway bars, E21 5-speed, 3.91 LSD, and many new parts.  A more comprehensive inventory is coming soon.  Also, I'm willing to negotiate on price if you're interested in some or none of the spares.

medium.IMGP2820.JPG.a506fecb3549cb37b72b

medium.IMGP2774.JPG.8496aa2a79b25ad2594e