• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Father's Day Tale. (Warning E9 Content)

02Coastie

Caution, sentimental car story ahead.

Growing up my father always had quirky cars. He had a real affection for the E9 coupes, so when his NachtBlau 2800CS was totaled in an accident, he replaced it with a 1974 3.0CS "Kingfish". It was SienaBraun over Tan leather with a 4spd. The exterior color was never his taste, so in the early 90's he stripped it down to the bare metal and sent it off for a 2-3 year stay at a local restoration shop. Shortly after sending it off, he passed away from cancer. I was 13. 

About 3 months after the funeral, we received a call from the shop informing us that the "car was ready." By ready, they meant we had a beautifully painted Lapis Blau (close to Atlantik) shell to go along with the numerous boxes in the garage. While there were a few scribbles and diagrams, my Dad didn't leave much in the reassembly instructions department. The car had been left to me and so over the course of the following 5-6 years, it followed our family around. We always found a safe place to store the shell and all the parts. However, reality ultimately took hold and we knew we lacked the knowledge and resources to reassemble it. We made the tough call to trade it to a coupe enthusiast in California for a running '74 2002. That Amazon 2002 was my first real "restoration" project. It was my daily driver through college until an inattentive driver ran a red light and t-boned me at 50mph (amazingly I was unhurt). The buyer stayed true to his word and got Kingfish back together. Though I was back at school and unable to enjoy a ride, I was glad to know it was back on the road.

Time moved on: College graduation, service in the Coast Guard, a "new" 76 2002, marriage, life. I found myself back in California for duty and got a bug to hunt down the car with no vin or other critical info. With time passed, we had lost contact with the buyer. I only remembered his first name and that he lived in San Leandro. After running all sorts of combinations on google site searches through Roadfly, E9Coupe.com, and similar forums, I was actually able to track him down. Unfortunately, he sold the car to guy named Jim in 2000 and had similarly scanty information on the car's current whereabouts. Again I turned to Google, Linkedin, and Facebook. Again I got lucky and found the owner. Even more amazing is only lives15 miles from our current home! My message to him was pretty simple: He had my father's car and if he would ever consider selling it, I'd appreciate the opportunity to get first in line. Three weeks passed before he responded. He had bad news: The car had been sitting outside for nearly 14 years with a busted ignition switch. The paint was peeling and the interior had dried up, cracking the leather seats. Still, he said he'd be happy to show me the car.

Last Sunday I went over to his house with a 6 pack of Lagunitas to see the car for the first time in almost 20 years. Short of the cosmetic issues it was all there. More importantly, it had remained rust free (a miracle if you know coupes). Jim had thoughtfully pickled the motor and kept it in as best shape as he could. I opened the trunk and found my dad's shop notebook with all his sketches of the disassembly. Each underhood sticker was placed on its own page with measurements of where they went. Needless to say I was a bit overcome with emotion.

This is the part of the story where I lost any leverage at bargaining. This is also the part of the story where my faith in gearheads and people in general was reinvigorated. Jim had been in a similar position with his father's car many decades ago. Unfortunately, he was not able to get it back. He told me, "I've regretted that for years. So I know that there's only one place this car belongs, and that's home with you." He gave me an incredibly fair deal, well under market, even refusing to take as much as I initially offered. "The car needs to go home, and I want you to have the resources to treat it right, get it painted and enjoy it."

So this Father's Day, my wife and I arrived at Jim's with a uhaul trailer to bring Kingfish home. I spent the better part of the afternoon giving it the first bath it's had in over a decade. In the coming weeks I'll rebuild the carbs, change the fluids, R&R the brakes/hubs, and then hopefully enjoy a drive, likely with Dad's preferred organ music cranked up.

It needs a lot of love to get back to prime condition, but it's home.

IMG_5017.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG

Edited by 02Coastie

"Sabine" 1976 Polaris / Navy - 12+ year Inop Ebay Find. Now with Microsquirt and Cold A/C. 

That's awesome you were able to get the car back. Since you know of e9coupe.com please put your car in the CSRegistry if you haven't already. Good idea to start a build/restoration thread there too. Lots of great info and people to advise and encourage you too.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Congrats!  Great story!  You're going to love having an e9.  I've had mine for 12 years, to this day - everytime I drive it, it puts me in a good mood.  Our kids and our dog (we got her the same year as the coupe -2003, she thinks it's hers) have grown up with it - it's part of family.

take1 (2).JPG

take2.JPG

Edited by e9er

That is Awesome!  Good luck with that E9!  Great story & ending.  I am struggling with a decision to sell my 68 mustang that I have owned & restored over the past 20 years.  I don't have the emotional attachment to it that I have with my 1600 and my kids (23 & 21) don't either but I am thinking that, 20 years down the road they may have wished I did not sell it for the very reason that you described above.  Enjoy!

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Super nice story!

It's always nice to hear how our cars somehow manage to make their way back home and into our lives again.

And I'm sure that there's a big smile on your Dad's face as he's looking down at you, finishing up his long-ago-started work...

Best of luck to you.

Enjoy!

-Bob

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

Awesome story! I love it!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Amazing story! Brings warmness to my heart.... It was meant to be.... [emoji4]

Lisa 02princess -  SF Bay Area

73 2002  - "TESORO" 2585434  <>  67 1600  - "DERBY" 1514011 <> 65 R60/2 "Gigi" Motorad w/Sidecar

02princesslisa@gmail.com     https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/143-02princesslisa-with-her-tesoro-derby/

instagram: MotoLisa.02P