• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina Style Air Dam install help

jrhone

OK...so I'm gearing up for dropping my car off for paint.  I picked up the Alpina style air dam and I was hoping it would be pretty obvious to mount and install...but nope.  When I place it where I think it should go theres about an inch or 2 extra on each side of the air dam. I kinda get it to line up but the air dam then hits the bumper where it mounts to the fender.  Maybe it needs trimming and massaging and the extra fiberglass is so it can be mounted in a variety of situations.  I think I am going to have it painted but not mounted so I can REALLY have it perfectly mounted.  I'm not too comfortable leaving it to someone else to figure it out as I am very picky about how these things fit.  Any tips for getting it to fit correctly?  Here is what I want it to look like....

gallery_33536_310_12182.jpg

gallery_33536_310_3951.jpg

gallery_33536_310_21068.jpg

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

John,

Here is mine. The only cutting I had to do was for the heavy duty 73 US bumper brackets as I really wanted to keep my bumper. I also had to mount the air dam 1 inch higher than I really wanted to simply so I could get my jack under the front of the car. I literally have less than a 1/4 inch between bumper and jack when front tires are inflated properly. The crooked bumper in these photos have since been straightened. I like how mine turned out.

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

depends who molded it, mine fitted pretty well and is nice and low

IMG_4308.JPG

I think he's specifically asking about the Alpina airdam. As pictured on the red 02. Yours is a Zender style airdam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Yes, but I am rethinking the Alpina choice.  Maybe he Zenders are more popular because they are easier to install and make look right.  In the pics I posted of the red 02, the Alpina air dam looks like it was factory almost.  Its more subtle.  the Zender is more bold and in your face.  I'm pulling the bumpers tomorrow and I'll test fit it without the bumper then make a decision.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

6 hours ago, jrhone said:

Yes, but I am rethinking the Alpina choice.  Maybe he Zenders are more popular because they are easier to install and make look right.  In the pics I posted of the red 02, the Alpina air dam looks like it was factory almost.  Its more subtle.  the Zender is more bold and in your face.  I'm pulling the bumpers tomorrow and I'll test fit it without the bumper then make a decision.  

Or, you could go with a race-inspired air dam. -KB

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly found the install quite simple.
I removed the front bumper and a mate helped me hold the spoiler up against the ridge line.  My Alpina repro spoiler needed a little bit of trimming where the two outer sides sit up against the front wings, but it probably only took me some 10 - 15 minutes to reach a reasonably good fit.   I then drilled some holes and wacked through some rivets.
Easy!!  :P

Please ignore the crooked front bumper though -  I need to get a set of straight bumper irons on...  :wacko:

IMG_8949_zpsgulvufuj.jpg

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

10 hours ago, jrhone said:

Can you post more pics?  Like on the sides?  Different angles?

Sorry mate, but we moved to the UK about half a year ago, and I'm still trying to sort garage space for all three 02's.  Hence my hillclimb / trackslag 02 still resides back home in Denmark for the time.  We're back in Denmark though come early August, so if it's still relevant for you at that point, then I'll be more than happy to snap loads of pics from all sorts of obscure angles for you.  Just say the word...  ;)

For now, this is the only other one I have.

IMG_8946_zpsbwvrdzhb.jpg

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:19 AM, kbmb02 said:

Or, you could go with a race-inspired air dam. -KB

image.jpeg

nice nice nice.....very period and correct......sooooo..how much would that be retail?...if u were to sell them?....or should I ask: how much did it cost u to fab that up?

21 hours ago, jrkoupe said:

nice nice nice.....very period and correct......sooooo..how much would that be retail?...if u were to sell them?....or should I ask: how much did it cost u to fab that up?

Thanks. And yep, went for a period-correct look (though, there were many home-built air dams back then), and built to SVRA B/S spec and other vintage race groups.

I made a forming buck for this air dam and we are producing them. Retail $375 (unpainted aluminum). More details and photos available, send PM if interested. -KB