• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$3,000 1974Tii Project with Rotissarie

wonkas

I received a deposit from the first person that saw this car. So he is now arranging the pickup. I purchased a 1974 Tii for $6,000 in good running condition 5 years ago. I had a rotissarie built. Can rotate 360 degrees and is robust. I stripped the car. No bents, No rust. Includes a 5 speed transmission and non slip differential. Includes new shocks from Ireland Engineering and new suspension bushings. Includes all parts and interior parts. The rotissarie is worth $1,500 alone. I am too busy to restore the car. I am in Southern California. The VIN matches.

IMG_0298.JPG

sideright1_jpg_w300h225.jpg

interiorrear_jpg_w300h225.jpg

Edited by wonkas
Deposit received

1 hour ago, Robert A Olmedo said:

Yes,I know. Advertised as a Tii?

A tii is defined by its VIN, not by the presence or absence of a snorkel in the nosepiece.  I firmly believe that half the surviving '02's -- both tii's and non-tii's -- have had nose jobs over the last 40+ years, thus I don't look to a snorkel as a reliable indicator.  If this car's VIN is 278XXXX, it's a U.S.-spec 1974 tii, snorkel and all.  If it's not, it's something else.

Even in the small photograph, that nosepiece looks like it's been messed with.  If you must judge a tii without a VIN, I've found more reliable indicators of tii-ness to be (1.) the factory "firewall notch" found on tii's manufactured from late in the 1972 model year through the end of tii production; and (2.) the two brackets welded onto the left inner fender and intended to support the tii airbox.  If you wiped out either of these features in an accident, your car likely went to the crusher, whereas you didn't have to do much damage to an '02 to justify a nosepiece replacement.  Don't ask me how I know but 3 of my 4 driver '02's had nose jobs!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Over 40 years many things can change! Most all body shops don't even know about a tii having a snorkleless nose and probably ordered the carbureted nose for the replacement!  You can look underneath for the mounts for the electric fuel pump, also  the airbox mounts as Steve mentioned,   The struts and front brakes, engine, rear trailing arms, clock, dash, and fuel tank could all be changed out by any owner over the years.

shermanmartinez at Hotmail dot com

On July 1, 2016 at 11:02 PM, Conserv said:

(2.) the two brackets welded onto the left inner fender and intended to support the tii airbox.

I can understand looking for the firewall notch and the body shop leaving the snorkel on the replacement nosepiece, but wouldn't someone have to weld on new brackets regardless to mount the air box on a non-Tii VIN conversion? Or is there a different way to mount this, just curious. Maybe one could tell a non-factory welding job?

16 hours ago, JS02 said:

I can understand looking for the firewall notch and the body shop leaving the snorkel on the replacement nosepiece, but wouldn't someone have to weld on new brackets regardless to mount the air box on a non-Tii VIN conversion? Or is there a different way to mount this, just curious. Maybe one could tell a non-factory welding job?

You're missing the point: it's not a tii unless it has a tii VIN.  I'm just pointing to some of the indicia of a tii, if you're trying to guess without knowing the VIN, and looking for something more reliable than the car's nosepiece!

Most tii conversions were NOT built to fool the world of car collectors.  Someone had a 2002 with a tired engine, they saw they could pick up a tii engine cheap, so they put them together.  It was a relatively inexpensive way to increase power by 25%, not an attempt to sell some un-suspecting buyer a plain-Jane 2002 at tii prices -- although that probably happened now and again.

Lots of tii's -- and, I suppose, faux tii's -- run around with aftermarket air filters.  K&N seemed to be the most common, and for a couple decades appeared to be more common than the factory airbox.  Owners are now returning their tii's to the stock airbox, realizing the aftermarket filters probably added no power while compromising the air filtering capacity.  Aftermarket air filters, such as the K&N, don't need the inner fender brackets.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)