• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WN and other Parts Suppliers

NYNick

So I've been shopping on WN and creating quite a list. I've been using all sorts of sources including Blunt, PartsGeek and RealOEM to create my spreadsheet as to who's got what and how much they charge.

It dawned on me that WN or any of them might not be OEM replacements, but aftermarket parts. On certain parts like door seals and the like, I want to be certain to go OEM to avoid any issues. Are they OEM? How do you tell if some are and some aren't? The part numbers align, but before I go spend a few grand on parts, I want to know for sure. RealOEM is clearly more expensive on almost everything...is this because they actually are OEM?

Please educate me...

Thanks

Nick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Realoem is an online parts catalog only.  You cannot purchase parts from the site, and the prices are frequently outdated - current prices may be more or less.

BluntTech can provide original BMW dealer parts, OEM, and aftermarket parts depending on your desire & budget.  I don't know if WuN offer genuine BMW parts, but do sell aftermarket and reproduction/remanufactured parts.  It's best to ask before you buy.

I wonder of the drop in value of the £ has dropped prices from Jaymic?

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Nick,

100% of what I buy from Blunt is OEM BMW, with label.  I know he can also get aftermarket parts but I use him in lieu of a local BMW dealership.  There are items, however, that ship "badly" to retail customers -- the long-awaited roof drip mouldings come to mind -- and those I would purchase from a local BMW dealership, to avoid a "damaged-in-transit" issue!.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

As said, you must confirm with the supplier: OEM or AM.  WN door and glass seals for example are URO, but you'd have to confirm ALL parts with them or you wouldn't know until they arrive.  WN does sell OEM, but without confirmation ANYTHING could arrive.

Instead of using RealOEM price list, accumulate pt#s and call your local BMW parts department to get current prices.  Again, the one upside to buying from the dealership is no freight and the instant ability to refuse damaged or defective parts.  

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Two other suggestions:

Use GetBMWparts.com to get a current OEM price, minus their discount (around 20%).   Get a BMWCCA membership, if your local dealer offers a parts discount for members.  I think mine is 20% off, but I also think that they inflate their retail prices over list (for everyone). 

I have purchased lots of parts from WN, and many are OEM, but not all.  As Paul said, you can't tell from their website.  A good clue is if the price is close to OEM list minus about 25%, they are most likely OEM.  If it is half of OEM list or less, it is highly likely a repro or non-OEM part.  Sometimes that's fine, for non appearance parts, good aftermarket parts are perfectly good.  Door seals may be a counter example. 

I have created a massive spreadsheet that I used to decide where I purchase each part.   For WN, I convert the non VAT price to dollars, and add 10% as a shipping estimate.

I fully intend on marching down to my local BMW parts guy and giving him a shot at the total package, once I've got my part number ducks in a row. I've always found parts guys at dealerships to be great to deal with (in person), interested in your old project, and willing to give you a discount. For my order, I'll press for a bigger discount.

On the other hand, Steve/Blunt have such a great rep, it seems worth the time to give him a shot as well. 

Nothing is easy.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Have been buying from WN for over 10 years and 95% of the parts I received were OEM, exceptions were the strut bar and some small nuts/screws.

Blunt as well as Ireland has been very good buying experiences.

Shipping is bit expensive but super fast and reliable.

JP

I've always found parts guys at dealerships to be great to deal with

You lead an enchanted life.

In my world, I do my best to find the best local guy (within about a hundred mile radius)

and only deal with him.  Or her.  Or others they recommend.

How do you find her?  Trial and error (theirs, usually, although how they deal with YOUR errors is also a factor) and cash gambled.

The "Genuine" rockers with big voids in them was a watershed for me.  Also, was expensive.

Personally, I now pick and choose which parts are "genuine" and which make sense to avoid the markup on.  There are a few things that are worth it, I'll admit.

Do keep in mind that BMW AG themselves make VERY FEW 2002 parts, if any at all.  "Mobile Tradition" proved that.

Personally, I love it that the E46 thermostat from Behr costs $47, and is IDENTICAL to the $104 BMW one, with the sole distinction being that the Roundel is ground off the Behr part.

not particularly brand- loyal...

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

12 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

As said, you must confirm with the supplier: OEM or AM.  WN door and glass seals for example are URO, but you'd have to confirm ALL parts with them or you wouldn't know until they arrive.  WN does sell OEM, but without confirmation ANYTHING could arrive.

With W&N it exactly as Paul said. You need to ask about each and every part or you never know what you'll get. Sometimes I've had hard time getting a clear answer.

Also the quality of aftermarket parts vary massively. Some are really good but some are useless junk. But so does the OEM repro parts quality...

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

32 minutes ago, NYNick said:

I submit for your consideration...

Rubber, Engine/cowl drains, need 3. Part: 64214474121

W&N

14Euros 

Bluntech

$26

Come on.

Is this a competition?

getbmwparts.com = $24.14

https://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/index.cfm?make=BMW&year=&searchText=64214474121&action=oePartSearch&siteid=214672

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I guess it is, kind of...

The point being that prices are all over the place. Add to that the fact that you have to check with all the suppliers to determine OEM or not, and you've got a real job on your hands, especially if you're ordering thousands of dollars worth of parts.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not throwing stones at Steve/Blunt or W&N or any other supplier. I'm, just saying it is confusing, and a lot of work to get it right.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS