• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 02 oil sending units (which one ?)

Road trip

You mean the stock one?

There are (2) types which have large and small threaded ends.  Think the larger one fits the earlier cars - not sure though.

If you are using an aftermarket gauge, then you will need an adaptor.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

49 minutes ago, jgerock said:

You mean the stock one?

There are (2) types which have large and small threaded ends.  Think the larger one fits the earlier cars - not sure though.

If you are using an aftermarket gauge, then you will need an adaptor.

Not Which One, Which Brand ?

I've had good luck with VDO stuff. German and all that jazz. You *will* need to make sure it has the correct thread size for your distributor housing on the cylinder head. BMW used two different sizes, and it's often impossible to know, until you remove the original oil pressure sending unit. Also - make sure the sending unit range matches the gauge you'll be using. I like the ones that retain the "idiot light" function of the original oil pressure warning light. Super easy to install and set up. Never been a fan of mechanical oil pressure gauges… if the pipe / tubing breaks between the engine and your lap / dashboard… it's a hell of a mess - and dangerous. 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

34 minutes ago, wegweiser said:

I've had good luck with VDO stuff. German and all that jazz. You *will* need to make sure it has the correct thread size for your distributor housing on the cylinder head. BMW used two different sizes, and it's often impossible to know, until you remove the original oil pressure sending unit. Also - make sure the sending unit range matches the gauge you'll be using. I like the ones that retain the "idiot light" function of the original oil pressure warning light. Super easy to install and set up. Never been a fan of mechanical oil pressure gauges… if the pipe / tubing breaks between the engine and your lap / dashboard… it's a hell of a mess - and dangerous. 

It's a idiot light set up

(1972 BMW 2002) 

I mostly need a sending unit that doesn't leak so I'm looking for the highest quality

brand

Hrmph…. I've never had one leak, unless it was 35+ years old. Make sure you have the correct aluminum crush washer seal under it, that's all. FTE, VDO, Genuine BMW…. I'm sure there are many many others. Luckily they're super cheap and easy to swap, if you have problems.

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I replace all of mine with a mechanical gauge.  Usually VDO,

sometimes autometer, or even Sun or a cheapie like that-

I find it to be much more valuable and the data to be of a much higher

quality than the best idiot sender provides.

That said, both race cars also have 20 psi idiot lights that are about as bright

as an aircraft landing light...

Think of this as a perfect opportunity to improve one of the areas of the 2002 that was

not perfect to begin with.

And check your distributor o- ring and the gasket on that one bolt in that

housing that's under pressure, too, while you're thinking of it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL