• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fyi ..... Rob Siegel is selling a '74 2002tii

just saw this elsewhere on the internet, posted about 1 hour ago ......

Rob says:  

Okay, Otto the '74tii is re-capitated and purring like a kitten.

The ad is going up on eBay tonight with a Buy it now of $11,500 and a reasonable reserve. If you want to end-run eBay and meet my BiN, call me at 617-365-8303. PLEASE READ THE AD THOROUGHLY AND LOOK AT THE 150 PHOTOS, as they should answer most of your questions.  Please don't call me just to talk 2002s. Anything lower than the BiN, please wait 'till tonight when the ad is up and put in a bid.

http://www.robsiegel.com/otto/otto_ebay_ad.html

Edited by OriginalOwner

Steve, thanks. It's also here in the classifieds. The eBay auction will go live tonight.

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

And... if ONE MORE of my friends calls me up to say "I just want to talk 2002s..." I swear, pow, right in the kisser... :^)

Edited by thehackmechanic

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Got Rob's new Automobile Electrical book yesterday.  Love it.  Have also been following the re-heading of Otto story through his BMW CCA column.  Good luck with the sale Rob!

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

May I ask a "german" question please: Rust of the kind like it is visible on the photos in the auction description is not a problem for passing official technical tests in US? Or maybe more general: Are there any tests in US similar to the german TÜV that we have to go to with our cars every two years?

Depending on how strict the testing engineer is in person he might not even let you drive away again if you show up at TÜV with a car in that conditions (you would have to come back with a trailer to fetch it). For sure you won´t get an approval for the car to be road-legal for the next two years until some serious body repair had been done to it.

Please don´t misunderstand me: I really don´t want to talk Rob´s car down! Just had a look at the photos through my "german glasses" and instantly thought "OMG - that is still road-legal in US" to myself.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Hi Lars,

It depends on the state you are in. When I lived in New York, yearly inspection consisted of a thorough look by a state-licensed garage holder, who focused on a number of "critical" issues, like cracks in the windshield. "Surface" rust never seemed much of an issue in NY state. I regularly saw pickups driving around with holes in the fenders of a size large enough to drive my own car through. Also, it was quite easy to find a garage holder who would happily bend the rules for a somewhat higher fee and provide an inspection sticker for a car that would clearly not pass a an undoctored inspection. I ran my Saturn with a cracked windshield for a year - but with a valid state inspection.

So in summary, if something like TUV would exist in New York State, frankly, half of the automobile population would be taken off the Streets ;) I can't talk of anywhere else - California seems rather strict on emissions ...rust ? I suppose most states have an issue with "structural" rust.

Cris

Here in Ohio, we are no longer required to have our cars pass an E-check inspection (environmental/pollution level check). Even then, the state was not inspecting cars for rust or serious body damage. Lars, you'd be shocked by what passes for a usable vehicle here in my part of the world.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Lars, as others have said, there is no TUV-like Federal rule to test and verify the structural integrity. The rules vary enormously state-by-state. Here in Massachusetts, the rule -- though I can't find the official text -- is no rust holes that might allow exhaust through. So they can fail you for visible external rust holes. This '74tii passes that easily at most stations. Hardly any inspection station will look underneath the car for rust in the floors and fail it, though they could. I have another tii, a '73, that has rust holes in both front fenders the size of my fists. I have not tried to get it inspected like this. It probably won't pass.

Lars,

Adding virtually nothing to the prior excellent posts on inspections, I will add that we just moved back to New York from Georgia, which is one of the no-safety-inspection states (there is an emissions inspection for cars 3 to 25(?) years old in the Atlanta metro area).  Having moved to Atlanta after 50 years in the Northeast U.S., Pennsylvania, New York, and Connecticut, it was truly shocking to see even smart educated people -- college professors, doctors, lawyers -- driving patently un-safe cars every day: bald tires, cracked windshields.  It was while living in Georgia that I got to see cars missing even doors and fenders driving on public roads.

But I can't claim the inspection states are particularly rigorous.  My '76 was registered in Pennsylvania with illegal headlights (not sealed beams) virtually from new.  No inspection station ever noticed it!

I WISH we had a TUV!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)