• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat belts

Road trip

1972 '02's were generally equipped with Autoflug seat belts.  Replacement Autoflugs have not been available in 3 decades and I can't tell you I've seen an NOS set in recent decades.

So this brings you to a question of what TYPE of show car?  If judging is on the basis of stock appearance and equipment, the BEST you can do is to have bluedevils rebuild a set of Autoflugs for your car.  But rebuilding original retractors is problematic -- it might work but generally doesn't work particularly well -- so there may be a trade-off of appearance versus performance.  Do you want a strict 1972 appearance, or a fast-acting retractor?  Bluedevils can combine modern retractors with vintage buckles but....is that within your "show car" needs?

BMW still sells OEM seat belts but they are either REPA, the brand used generally on 1974-ish through 1976 '02's -- and they're not an exact match for the original REPA's -- or another brand, one never used on '02's.  When you order them, you generally don't know whether they will fill the order with REPA's or the other brand.

And there are inexpensive Asian-manufacturered replacement belts widely available -- try eBay.

I've had bluedevils build me a set for the '73 and a set for the '76, but with slightly different approaches.  For the '73, which I'd consider the more "collectible" of the two cars, he rebuilt a set of 1972 Autoflugs, as it originally had (the car was built October 19, 1972).  Buckles and hardware are original excellent or restored pieces, webbing is new, retractors are rebuilt originals.  For the '76, less "show" but still pretty darned stock, he rebuilt a set of REPA's, like the car's originals.  Buckles and hardware are original excellent or restored pieces, webbing is new, retractors are new BMW OEM REPA replacements, similar but not identical to the original retractors yet bearing the REPA name.  The '73's rebuilt original retractors, as I knew, require more patience than your Tundra's modern belts!

It all comes down to deciding how you define "show car"!

Good luck,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)