• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi all

I understand that the Getrag 245 is the preferred box for a 5sp conversion, but in my end of the world they are pretty rare.  I can however source a Getrag 240.

The following topic is a great source of information on a 245 conversion:  

After much searching it appears that the Getrag 240 can work, but I can't find much specific detail.

Are there any deal-breakers that should stear me away from a 240?   Is the process similar to the 245 conversion?  

Many thanks

glen

A 240 from an e21 is eaay- all the same things as a 245, just a longer driveshaft and shift platform.

From an e30,  you need a way to do the speedo, since the e30 speedo runs off the diff.

no problems otherwise.

The 240 shift forks are reputed to be weaker,

so don't shift like a gorilla.

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

7 hours ago, Tassie said:

Is the process similar to the 245 conversion?  

If the 240 is shorter then stay away from one of those horse shoe transmission rear mount adapter gizmos because it is made for a longer 245.  You may not understand now what I am referring to but you will soon.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Cons, as Toby says softer aluminum shift forks in 240 vs brass/steel in 245? Pros, supposedly 240 is a bit lighter. 245 seems to be the preferred route but I found a cheap and solid 240 years ago so went for it -- been using it for years without problems so there's one data point.

• 4 years later...
On 7/4/2016 at 9:29 AM, TobyB said:

A 240 from an e21 is eaay- all the same things as a 245, just a longer driveshaft and shift platform.

From an e30,  you need a way to do the speedo, since the e30 speedo runs off the diff.

no problems otherwise.

The 240 shift forks are reputed to be weaker,

so don't shift like a gorilla.

t

Reviving this old one...

What driveshaft is needed to make the 240 work?

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

12 minutes ago, Mucci said:

Reviving this old one...

What driveshaft is needed to make the 240 work?

2002 4-speed driveshaft with a modified front section (originating from the same e21 the trans was pulled from). 

simple modification. Most driveshaft shops charge about $300 for this Modification/balance job. 

you need to measure the correct driveshaft length for your car once the box is installed to ensure it all fits correctly. There are a few “off the shelf” measurements that should work, but I’ve seen more than a handful of guys who have had issues with these standard driveshaft lengths. Not all cars were built the same and lengths can vary. 

Good luck! 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

It totally works.

Make sure you obtain a 240 that fits an M10 engine, not the M42.

In the states, that means late E21 and early (1984-1985) E30 318i.  Mine came from an 85 318i.

Before installing it, remove the stock 4 speed rear support mounts spot welded to the tunnel. Trust me.

You have to relocate the rear support mount, its better if you can purchase or fabricate one that fits up in the tunnel like some 245 conversion mounts do. A flat "across the tunnel" mount works but really reduces clearance between the mount and exhaust down pipe and you have to cut out some of the aluminum heat shield to fit it.

An  E30 driveshaft will work without changing its length and its fitted with the correct flange but you have to relocate the center support bearing mount aft. They are fitted with a sliding spline joint.

My trans has no speedo drive so for right now I'm using a little HUD display GPS  speedometer from Ebay.

Not bad for $20. I cut the cigar lighter plug off, snaked in at the defrost register and hard wired to switched power.  Minimal clutter.

GPS speedos that fit into the instrument panel are also available for more $$$ and effort.

This article by Jake is where I started. Yes. it's about installing an M42 engine but the info on trans rear mounts, driveshafts, shift linkage ect is applicable.

https://theguestroom.net/m42-02/m42swap.pdf

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

8 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Make sure you obtain a 240 that fits an M10 engine, not the M42.

In the states, that means late E21 and early (1984-1985) E30 318i.  Mine came from an 85 318i.

Before installing it, remove the stock 4 speed rear support mounts spot welded to the tunnel. Trust me.

You have to relocate the rear support mount, its better if you can purchase or fabricate one that fits up in the tunnel like some 245 conversion mounts do. A flat "across the tunnel mount works but really reduces clearance between the mount and exhaust down pipe.

An early E30 driveshaft will work without changing its length and its fitted with the correct flange but you have to relocate the center support bearing mount aft. They are fitted with a sliding spline joint.

I have never done a 245 so I cant really compare but installing a 240 is completely workable.

What’s the issue with the later 240’s for the M42?

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

I've found that the center link rubbed against my 240, I found that there's a center link with a dropped center section (2002AD iirc) that eliminates that problem. I'm still in the process of getting my car on the road, so I can't say more on this yet. 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

The e30 version should have 2 mounts canted at 30 degrees or so.

Not a deal breaker at all, just one more thing to work out.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I bought a mount from Blunt for about $120.He does offer components and kits now for the 240.

The mount is massive and super sturdy.

Saved a huge amount of scrounging, cutting, fitting and welding. Definitely worth it.

It does come really close to the exhaust down pipe but a carbide bit massage helped relieve that.

Had to cut out a bit of the heat shield as well (visible on R/H side)

ABE84467-97B9-4C76-8F82-E0CC329E5E6B.jpeg

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris