• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sparky - My Atlantik Blue '72 tii

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c723ef59fd17d18fimageproxy.php?img=&key=c723ef59fd17d18fI just recently brought home my newest project, an early '72 tii in atlantic blue with blue or black interior, and a 'slick roof,' albeit very rusty.  It seems to have lived in the SF Bay Area its whole life, and must have been garaged for most of the time.  It is a very low rust car.  There's one hole smaller than a dime at the passenger footwell where the exhaust pipe runs down from the motor.  There's rust in the outer skin of the fenders, rear door bottom corners, and on the rear of the side sills.  The nose is original with no snorkel.  The motor is in pieces with a cracked E12 head with an '86 date stamp, and a cracked original block.  There's an ANSA exhaust, and I have a short block coming in soon from another member here that will give me a great start to build up.  The kugelfischer, and all intake/injection pieces came with the car, and I have access to a complete head from a 1600 (118 I think?) if that will work. The dash was replaced with a one piece at some point, but it is VIN 2760048 :)imageproxy.php?img=&key=c723ef59fd17d18f imageproxy.php?img=&key=c723ef59fd17d18fimageproxy.php?img=&key=c723ef59fd17d18f

DSC_5778.JPG

DSC_5780.JPG

DSC_5783.JPG

DSC_5784.JPG

DSC_5785.JPG

DSC_5787.JPG

DSC_5788.JPG

DSC_5789.JPG

DSC_5792.JPG

DSC_5793.JPG

DSC_5794.JPG

DSC_5795.JPG

DSC_5797.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2175.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_5479.JPG

Edited by Greggotii

This is going to be such a great car. Please bring it back to life.

I once had an Atlantik Blue 1600. It was my favorite car.

Also, the 118 head will not work with the tii block. Look for a 121 head. That would have been correct for your car. 

Also, if you have the means, take the car to a guy with an outside lift. Spent an hour or two pressure washing the undercarriage. It makes all the difference when inspecting and working on suspension. I do this to all my projects, before I jump into them.

Good luck.

I'll be watching this one. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

4 hours ago, danco_ said:

This is going to be such a great car. Please bring it back to life.

I once had an Atlantik Blue 1600. It was my favorite car.

Also, the 118 head will not work with the tii block. Look for a 121 head. That would have been correct for your car. 

Also, if you have the means, take the car to a guy with an outside lift. Spent an hour or two pressure washing the undercarriage. It makes all the difference when inspecting and working on suspension. I do this to all my projects, before I jump into them.

Good luck.

I'll be watching this one. 

Thanks!  My intention is to bring it back to life, with gusto :D  

Hey!

Good to see you on here-we chatted via FB when you had a question about the dash and steering wheel. One of my favorite colors too! Everyone else seems to be scoring the cool tii projects 'cept moi...:P

Danco's right-look for a 121 head (original or later casting-mine was a replacement cast 3/83), as they were replaced with the E12 in mid-'72. Higher compression...

Looking fwd to watching its journey back to life! 

Wendell

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an interesting find, maybe...the block that came with the car appears to be a factory replacement from some point in the car's history.  Is there any way to tell what year the block was manufactured by any of these stampings?  

IMG_5527.JPG

Edited by Greggotii

• 1 month later...

I ended up buying block #2760643 to build up from, and it's at the machine shop being bored out for some 1mm over bath tub Mahle pistons.  I took my kugelfischer down to Gus Pfister, and checked out some pretty cool stuff.  He daily drives a '72 VW Bug he had parked in the shop. I checked out the cutaway pump that showed how the thing works, and the "Wheeler Dealer" pump.  Gus was really great to talk with, and he printed up a tuning manual for me when I put the car back together.

In other news, another member here that used to own this car contacted me, and I ended up getting the original sales sheet for the car from the dealer down in Van Nuys, California.  A '69 1600 was traded in on the deal, and 2760048 seems to have come equipped with ZERO options...

BMW 2002 Bill Of Sale Van Nuys .jpg

Too cool! Great to have that kind of info relating to the history of your car. Looking at the sale date, your car was sold EXACTLY a year to the day before mine was built-what a trip!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice! Local CL find? Probably more cost effective to gather all said parts this way as opposed to sourcing them individually at this point, as Recaro's Getrag 245's and LSD's are gettin' pricey.

Boy, I wouldn't know-you've got me on that one. Congrats on the find and a few more steps towards realizing your vision!

• 1 month later...

The motor build is seeing some progress. New everything in the 121 head...cam, shafts, rockers, valves etc. Oil pump was disassembled and checked. Waiting on a few pieces we were missing to go further, like the double row camshaft sprocket, and pieces to revamp the cam chain tensioner...ordered stuff from Double 02 salvage in Hayward. 850c2a60a2429a0fc783d7b421b5ce76.jpg98121d900d0fc9b92dd81aafa34fe600.jpg80f46e0c1e1460e4f90603de60fb9007.jpg423b947f53626ccb60b6e957797bf7fe.jpg