• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Before and after?

Tom W

Great thread!  Loving the pics...I hope to add my before and after pics in a few weeks....car is away getting painted now...

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Don't dismay, if it was easy any schmuck would be doing it.  It's difficult to wipe the stupid grin on my face every time I drive it.  Your time will come soon.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

Well, this IS like a Before and After pic.

Jeff's car on its' maiden rally, and mine after 12 years of rallying...ready for the second restoration.

Rather than Before and After, think of it as Lather, Rinse, Repeat.  (Restore, drive the snot out of it, Repeat)

Before and After 02.jpg

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Approaching 6 month on mine. Surely I should get an honorable mention for perhaps one of the worst shape 2002's to grace this forum. Sooooooo must rust and welding of panels.

Anyhow, here's where I am with mine....no turning back.

Final color to be orange.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

really like looking thru these pictures this thread is an inspiration to us all, some of these certainly have been saved from there death bed...

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Since so many folks are talking rust repair... this week's Walloth & Nesch internet special is..... REPAIR PANELS!  Get 'em while their hot!

https://www.wallothnesch.com/angebote/wochenangebote/aktuelle/bmw-1502-2002-turbo.html

Ed

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

My contribution to this thread. Hope it gives you some more motivation.

When I first got her.

f19902f12caffb85aac21ce639562b4f.jpg

After a 10mph fender bender.

5d9417d5761f7ab50fe20c9805c3f33f.jpg

Why not go pig cheeks?

0192e53e8f7d0c6c38a31a736752b09f.jpg

And what she looks like today.

c2fab4db98a1b212c741b32ab9902c05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Not really a 'restoration,' but a repaint after 10 years of daily abuse by me, topped off by a ~10 point buck.  

Highlight showing previous SUV-backing-related-damage on left front

before race.jpg

Mismatched paint on rear

beforeraceback.jpg

First doe hit at like 60mph:

Firstdoehit.jpg

10pt. buck hit at around 60mph, rack thru windshield:

buckwindshieldhit.jpg

Rear end of buck spun into quarter panel:

buckquarterhit.jpg

Insurance paid half of full repaint.  Body guy said only straight panel left on the car was the roof:

afterfull.jpg

afterfrontview.jpg

afterrearview.jpg

I still need to go back to body shop to get doors straightened after installing seals.  And yeah, I kept the big bumpers, because they took the first doe hit pretty well before rolling it into grill.  The buck was too tall, though.  I just tried to hide the bumper gap a bit by adding the fog lights.  I also don't mind the side reflectors for night time visibility. 

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

It is really nice to see so many versions of what people like, the time and work they are willing to put in, also $$$. Maybe I have mistaken lack of enthusiasm for a big chunk of lead in my arse.  Very inspired and ready to hit it again. Maybe I need to order something shiny as a treat to mark a milestone here and there. My policy was not to buy anything until I was satisfied that I could save the body, A set of Panasports and tires for a temporary mock up could be motivational!